Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truck has been running great. Then saturday driving future brother-in-law to the feed store he asks how my truck has been treating me. Well, pretty good I say, then I go from stop at corner and engine starts chugging, miss firing, engine light comes on. So I turn around and nurse it home. Wound up using little ladies Malibu Maxx to get a bale of hay and a bag of horse feed. Besides that mess codes say IP pump is gone. I need recommendations on replacement pump for a 98.5 24 valve 2500 2WD regular cab. Or overhaul options. I'm located in Austin Texas. Still all stock for now. I am out of town for the rest of the week up in Lincoln Nebraska. Have a jet in Duncan for C-check. Any info would be great. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
Well, first off I would check your lift pump pressure. That could very well be what took out your pump, and you will need to replace both. We use Fass pumps here, others have other options. As for your injection pump, unless you have the mods that would gain from a HRVP, I would just put on a quality reman unit. We get ours from Industrial Injection.

Do you have a wire tap or anything that may have shorted out the pump?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no wire taps or anything like that. Still all stock. I am going to install a fuel pressure gauge, a little late though. Lift pump is running, but dont know what pressures are. In anycase, truck is just shy of 192000 miles so I am not really disapointed that the IP died. Just looking for advise on replacement parts, (IP, lift pumps, fuel pressure gauges) Not looking to make crazy power, would just like to increase economy and reliability. I do know that the VP44 need a bit of help. Thanks for any advise.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Once the VP has a reliable fuel supply (get rid of factory LP) then it lasts a long time. I liked the Fass pump thet we installed on two of my friends trucks, but when I saw that the Air Dog Raptor was $100 cheeper/100gph vs 95gph/and had a built in regulator... I went with that. No issues to report as of yet.
I installed a fuel guage that I found on e-bay by running a set of grease gun hoses {Home Depot, $5 each} off of the ported banjo bolt at the VP {Geno's Garage $7 and $2 for the new washers} and T'd it to the senders to run the guage and idiot light at the same time. Now I have the security of a guage and a light to catch my attention if I forget to check. Works nice and is a constant 14.5 lbs.
I strongly suggest you do the same when you get the new Dist in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts