Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, My name is Frank and I will finally be gettin into diesels(for personal use at least since I drive a Freightliner for work(don't laugh, i know)). A good friend of mine has a relative whom will be selling me his 2000 4x4 dodge ram 2500 diesel. it has 440xxx on it. I will be gettin it hopefully in a month or so. It was used for work and has been well maintained since he bought it new tranny and injection pump have been replaced before, heck the tranny was done twice i think.. it will need some tlc since it was a work truck but I am purchasing it for the sole purpose of using it as a truck so looks are not priority. It will be used to run errands and do stuff the car can't do, not towing or anything big at least yet. The tailgate will be used as a bench / beer holder when parked at home. Its got a lance truck camper which will hopefully be used a couple times a year to get away from Los Angeles and relax! ( and drink beer)

I understand from browsing this forum that these trucks are well worth the investment and will last if given the proper attention. One big question for me is about the maintenance I should give it. Should I inquire about the brands of fluids he used and stick to the same brands and maintenance intervals so I don't upset the engine? Or should I swap to a certain brand which might be better suited for a higher mileage cummins?(suggestions welcome) For those of you with higher mileage trucks, what problem areas on the chassis will I want to address or strengthen? Any place I should check for cracks or are these trucks built pretty solid..? I am getting the truck cheap enough that it gives me the flexibility to repair/upgrade things without feeling buyer's remorse.

Long story short, Im getting the truck, no question about it, but I need some high mileage advice from the all knowing gurus on here..

p/s this is my first post, hope to blend in well with this community, and if I posted in the wrong section please let me know.

·
Registered
591 Posts
well with that many miles i wouldn't throw too many power adders on it if any, but as for oil if they took good care of it with regular intervals, i would find out what oil was used and keep using it, obviosly it works lol. definetly get a fuel pressure guage, and its not a bad idea to upgrade the lift pump ie fass, airdog, raptor. my truck has 306000 but it has had an engine swap at 240000, no cracks on the frame anywhere, or anything that seems to be weak so it seems they are pretty strong as long as you keep up with them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Turbostang, thats the kind of info I was lookin for.! I have thought about the fuel pressure guage and the pump upgrade. I just basically wanna baby it till I can put away enough to have for a good rebuild incase it all goes. No need for power adders or shiny things, I do live in Los angeles, and aside from the smog law I also hate calling attention to my vehicles. I like em bland or just clean looking, not too flashy. Anything I need to know about takin care of the tranny? Can I upgrade it when it busts?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your truck.

p/s this is my first post, hope to blend in well with this community, and if I posted in the wrong section please let me know.
Your definitely off to a good start, seeing as your first post wasn't on how to rig up a smoke switch. :banghead:

·
Registered
591 Posts
taking care of the trans is just as simple, lots of guys say to not change the fluid in it, i change it and have never had a problem, just regular service intervals. to help it out a single disk converter and a shift kit will extend the life a bit, the converter is by far the weakest link in the trans (assuming its an auto)

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
People complain a lot about the stock auto tranny failing, calling them junk but that's when they add more hp than it was designed for.
Keep it stock, fluid changed and it will hold up for a very long time.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the input guys. I will be using this truck just as basic transportation and I dont drive like a maniac, I feel i'm over that. It may see some off road terrain maybe once or twice a year, and probably be driven only a few thousand miles a year. I understand what you mean about people complaining that things break, but usually they are at fault whether it be bad driving habits, or horrible choice in the order they mod/trucks their trucks. Oh and yes this truck is AUTO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts