Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Seems my wife has me doubting my choice of projects again:banghead:
I'm new to diesel power but with so many available and the fit for my project cant be questioned(except the wife)
Basically I'm swapping out the complete chassis from under my 64 suburban with a 94 3/4 ton 4x4 long bed, std cab. Now the the conversion its self does not bother me but the donor truck has a few issues that may effect purchase.
Other then the above the truck has 180,000 miles with a 47rh with a fresh rebuild and a $1200 converter(not sure of make yet) the motor turns over but does not start(low compression or timing) all this is second hand knowledge. I think I feel good about the $1500 price but not sure.
I will check for fuel pressure and do some more reading but I'm most worried about KPD damage. If any links or info that you may know that can give some quick checks on crank to valve timing would much appreciated.
Looking forward to soaking in the site and hope to help out the next guy
Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
not sure how to check the timing without a timing kit. first i would find out if its getting fuel. try to prime the fuel line. or pump the hell out of the fuel peddal. BTW make sure there is fuel in there.

as for the KDP. look for major oil leakage near the fan were it bolts on. look under the fan bolts on the timing case cover, clean it off and see if there is any damage or JB weld there.

Here is a link for the timing.
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1994/18-10-94a.htm
There is also a post in the Tech section board for this year model

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not sure how to check the timing without a timing kit. first i would find out if its getting fuel. try to prime the fuel line. or pump the hell out of the fuel peddal. BTW make sure there is fuel in there.

as for the KDP. look for major oil leakage near the fan were it bolts on. look under the fan bolts on the timing case cover, clean it off and see if there is any damage or JB weld there.

Here is a link for the timing.
TSB 18-10-94 Rev. A
There is also a post in the Tech section board for this year model
After talking to the owner it was running the night he parked it and would not start after that. So I'm aiming for a fuel issue, the tank has been dropped, air clean removed and the starter is in the bed as well.
I should be getting the truck to my place later this week and will start taring the body off and shorten the frame as well as getting it to run. As for KDP I'm not seeing any signs for now but plan on making sure it does not become a issue later.
I did check out the timing thread and have ever thing I need to find TDC but for now I will continue to read threads until I get a better grasp of the layout.
From what I see so far you have a very active and well organized forum
and I plan on spending much time here.
Thanks
Im working on my profile

1 - 3 of 3 Posts