Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure you have heard but the city wants to put in place cameras for people who speed through intersections.

I am really against this I do not think speeding is the cause of deaths I think its people who fail to slow down properly before a yellow and gun it to get across, and they clip the guy turning left trying to clear the intersection.

instead of putting in cameras and ticketing people to make a buck how come they don't retrofit the lights so that you see that 15 second timer with the flashing hand? :confused013:

I am sure if we knew how long I had till the light changed people would slow down accordingly.

/rant

·
Hemi
12,666 Posts
They put them in the town next to me. The ones here are more for people running the red light and not coming to a stop before taking a right.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2,050 Posts
manitoba has them and they suck. The number of fatal crashes has not droped since they have been setup. But the revenue the city's get they sure love that

·
Banned
5,596 Posts
I am sure you have heard but the city wants to put in place cameras for people who speed through intersections.
Welcome to the 21st century

I am really against this I do not think speeding is the cause of deaths I think its people who fail to slow down properly before a yellow and gun it to get across, and they clip the guy turning left trying to clear the intersection.
Speed is one of many causes of accidents.

instead of putting in cameras and ticketing people to make a buck how come they don't retrofit the lights so that you see that 15 second timer with the flashing hand? :confused013:
Honestly, I think most people would speed up when they see the hand.

I am sure if we knew how long I had till the light changed people would slow down accordingly.
Are you serious? We'd all speed up!

/rant
Good rant though. :thumbsup:

This will make you even more mad..... I forgot where exactly I read it, but in the states the company that makes the camera actually gets a cut of every ticket issued because of the camera.

·
Retired Engineer
558 Posts
In Ontario 30 years ago they changed to a 3 second RED Delay in all 4 directions which cut their accident rate sufficiently for the Insurance Industry to lower the Ontario Premiums. No need for Red Light and Speed Cameras. Think of what it is that you want to accomplish. hmmmm
Second Alberta is the only place Pedestrians have the right of way on roads, they should change the laws to conform with the rest of North America and cull the herd. IMO

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
The cops donut budget is running low, thats the reason for the speeding cams. Its stupid, if the light turns yellow and you are to close to be able to stop without being in the middle of the intersection, you are going to accelerate so that you make it through in a timely fashion, its just human nature. So unless the cams are set to go off when you are doing twenty kilometers or more over the posted speed limit (they will be set at ten above, or so I read in the paper) then I think they are simply a cash grab.

·
CAPTAIN DILLIGAF
3,835 Posts
They Have Had Them In Texas For Yrs Now And Some Of My Po Po Buddies Have Told Me Only A Small Portion Of Them Are In Use The Others Are Decoys

·
Registered
303 Posts
The ones I do agree with are the ones they are putting on the over passes on deerfoot, although I do speed through here I think it will eliminate the idiots that swerve through traffic and cut me off with a heavy load on my truck. I've been trying to slow down lately at work but doing what I do for work I make more money driving the way I did before.

·
Registered
254 Posts

/rant
Every other major city in North America has it and yes it does save lifes. Everyone's out to make a buck... that's too general of a statement to hold any relevance in your rant. Next excuse people will make is how they we're counting down the seconds before the light turned and that's when they got distracted and smashed into the driver infront of them - will cause more problems IMO. It's pretty simple, Green means go, Yellow means slow down and Red means stop. People understand this they just CHOOSE not to obey it. Now if they have to pay or wait 1 minute for a red light which do you think they'll do?

Oh, and here's a little entertainment:

·
Registered
69 Posts
i agree in our line of work the faster you drive the more deliveries you make and the mor deliveries you make the more $$$$ in your pocket thats why i think we should have courier lanes and only couriers can use them then we could really fly

·
Registered
254 Posts
Speed kills, period. You're driving a very heavy vehicle it doesn't stop as fast as (pardon the pun) a Honda Civic. Drive the speed limit and be safe.

It's like saying "I could take 'E' and get sh*t done really fast at work!", yeah but it could be harmful to yourself and others.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I disagree with the saying "speed kills" People who dont know how to drive kill, people who are distracted while driving kill, people who are impared while driving kills. Look at Germany and their Autobahns, I drove on them in april of last year. Did you know there are more deaths per year from hikeing in the swiss alps then there are car accidents on the autobahn??? I was driving at a steady 170-180 and I dont think I passed more then 5-6 cars the whole time I drove there, they were all flying past. Now if speed kills, how come they dont all die??
Poorly trained drivers kill, in Germany it costs 2000 euro and takes a month to get your drivers licence. Here its what 60 bucks and 20 minutes??? You want to save lives, TEACH PEOPLE TO DRIVE!!!!

·
Registered
875 Posts
I disagree with the saying "speed kills" People who dont know how to drive kill, people who are distracted while driving kill, people who are impared while driving kills. Look at Germany and their Autobahns, I drove on them in april of last year. Did you know there are more deaths per year from hikeing in the swiss alps then there are car accidents on the autobahn??? I was driving at a steady 170-180 and I dont think I passed more then 5-6 cars the whole time I drove there, they were all flying past. Now if speed kills, how come they dont all die??
Poorly trained drivers kill, in Germany it costs 2000 euro and takes a month to get your drivers licence. Here its what 60 bucks and 20 minutes??? You want to save lives, TEACH PEOPLE TO DRIVE!!!![/QUOTE

:ditto:

·
Registered
549 Posts
it was interesting i had to do a safety course at work and its actually a proven fact that speeding and impaired driving is NOT the major cause in vehicle fatalities. The major cause is the person that just follows the rules of the road blindlessly and just zones out which cause them to lose focus. The guys speeding are more aware because they are always looking around, they are more alert and more focused on whats around them.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Poorly trained drivers kill, in Germany it costs 2000 euro and takes a month to get your drivers licence. Here its what 60 bucks and 20 minutes??? You want to save lives, TEACH PEOPLE TO DRIVE!!!!
it's above 3k euros now. and very true, with germany, they go over the whole car, teach you how to change a flat to changing your oil etc.

here- "ok turn your left blinker on" "ok here's your license"

i took the skip barber driving school, drove brand new dodges (viper also) in 05, we did skid pad, brakeing, a little bean shaped track in the viper, 2nd gear tires loose at 70:headbang: and learned a ton, and i will make sure my kids will do the same. i know from this course and messing around in the snow has saved my :butt: in a few occasions to people who didn't know their arse from a hole in the ground.:doh:

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
it was interesting i had to do a safety course at work and its actually a proven fact that speeding and impaired driving is NOT the major cause in vehicle fatalities. The major cause is the person that just follows the rules of the road blindlessly and just zones out which cause them to lose focus. The guys speeding are more aware because they are always looking around, they are more alert and more focused on whats around them.
First that is insane. In case they didn't teach you in the course paying attention is one of the rules of the road.

Second to set things straight there is a simple equation for you courier drivers out there. 2 x the speed equals 2 x the stopping distance. 2 x the weight equals 4 x the stopping distance. So when you are doing 1.5 times the speed limit and hauling that extra 10 or 15k lbs you are a hazard on the road. There is a reason most of the rigs out there are governed to 70mph.

Third I don't like the idea of these cameras. Why? Because I speed. Yeah yeah I am a hipocrit big deal, but it will get me to slow down for the intersection just like the red light cameras have kept me from running a light or two. Which I have to believe is the ultimate reason for them. Whether they save lives or not is very tough to say, most polls out there are scewed in one way or another, but I do believe the intentions are good. The fact of the matter is the only way it will be a cash grab is if people continue to run through intersections at high speed.

Four, the photo radar that we have had here for years used to be done by some company in California and they did get a portion of the money generated. I think a few years ago when the contract was up though the city bought the cameras because of a public upraor. I doubt that they are going the same route again but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Anti Photo Radar License Plate Cover to solve those pesky cameras from getting ur tag.
ya but around here you get caught with one of those its $260 plus they take the dam thing thats what i love about runnin a deck truck my plate is put in a certain place that you can see it clearly from behind but from the angle of the camera they can only get maybe 2 digits gotta love it havent got a photo ticket since i put the deck on and that was 3 yrs ago and i know i've had my pic taken a few times

·
Registered
69 Posts
Speed kills, period. You're driving a very heavy vehicle it doesn't stop as fast as (pardon the pun) a Honda Civic. Drive the speed limit and be safe.

It's like saying "I could take 'E' and get sh*t done really fast at work!", yeah but it could be harmful to yourself and others.
speed kills drive a ford live for ever lol

1 - 20 of 61 Posts