Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An 94' International DT466 School Bus came into my possession a year ago. It was a rarity, because it wasnt retired because of engine or transmission problems (some little hoodlum torched the interior). I had grand plans of transplanting the engine and transmission into either a buggy or shortening/modifying the chassis to fit a dodge cab onto the bus, making a dodge looking truck with a 10 tonn rear axle rating.

But, I just found out that current scrap prices are the highest ive ever seen them at ($11.50/100lbs), making the scrap value of a school bus at right around $1600. So I took a long hard look at all the projects im working on and im just not sure if this one will every get anywhere.

Its a shame to scrap a perfectly good turbo diesel engine, transmission and chassis, but that instant $1600+the removal of an eyesore of a bus is about as tempting as the possibility that the engine and transmission could be worth several times the scrap value of the bus to the right person. I guess it all boils down to one of those a bird in hand is worth two in the bush situations.

Any helpful advice on the matter?

·
World Champs!!!
24,829 Posts
Feel free to scrap the chassis/body, but I'd keep the engine/trans and sell seperate. There's got to be a tractor puller or industrial entity that would take them off your hands

·
Registered
10,784 Posts
probably wont get much for it, but you should be able to get more than scrap metal value out of the drivetrain. the frame/bus body is obviously not worth its price in scrap metal LOL

·
Registered
110 Posts
Save the engine/trans. The rest can go. They may pay less if you dont separate iron from aluminum. Iron around here is .08 a pound. Aluminum is much more(cant remember exact). I scrapped a 466 a few months ago, due to hole in the block, and I had it all separated. I got $67, and you can sell the engine on ebay for easily 2500. It's got the famed P-pump. Great swap for a Super Duty. Not easy, but a wow factor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
An 94' International DT466 School Bus came into my possession a year ago. It was a rarity, because it wasnt retired because of engine or transmission problems (some little hoodlum torched the interior). I had grand plans of transplanting the engine and transmission into either a buggy or shortening/modifying the chassis to fit a dodge cab onto the bus, making a dodge looking truck with a 10 tonn rear axle rating.

But, I just found out that current scrap prices are the highest ive ever seen them at ($11.50/100lbs), making the scrap value of a school bus at right around $1600. So I took a long hard look at all the projects im working on and im just not sure if this one will every get anywhere.

Its a shame to scrap a perfectly good turbo diesel engine, transmission and chassis, but that instant sell my car az $1600+the removal of an eyesore of a bus is about as tempting as the possibility that the engine and transmission could be worth several times the scrap value of the bus to the right person. I guess it all boils down to one of those a bird in hand is worth two in the bush situations.

Any helpful advice on the matter?
It is you if you want to sell it but you still use it. For me, better not to sell it

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
The boss is in the same kind of predicament right now, but with two busses. One has a larger Cummins and the other an International. He has listed both of them with some offers, but no takers. Scrap is $245/Ton here, so he could come away with a little chunk of change after only paying $950 for both of them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts