Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys Ive got a problem that is kinda defying my logic here. When my truck is bone cold, like after sitting overnight or longer, my steering will be easy and smooth, very easy to turn the wheel, but after driving for awhile the steering becomes quite difficult, like the power steering is weak. At idle it almost becomes impossible to turn. It seems to me like if it was a power steering pump the problem would be opposite of whats happening. Any other suggestions of whats goin on or am I just thinking about this the wrong way?

·
Diesel Filled Veins!
5,401 Posts
Search function away for these issues, they come up about 3 times a week. Number one remove and replace as much fluid as possible; run truck after fluid replaced, apply brakes and move steering several times, change out more fluid and do that two or three more times. That don't fix it get a new PS pump, while doing that get a Gould vacuum pump reseal kit as you'll prolly bugger the vacuum pump shaft seal anyways when trying to get the PS pump back in. Remove both at once, reseal vacuum pump and replace PS pump on the bench, reasseble and put back in truck as one unit.

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
Your description of issue is different from norm. Yes you should change fluid and try some LubeGuard PS additive. It avaliable from NAPA. before you replace the PS pump you might be well advised to check hoses for internal restrictions. Use Valvoline Blue PS fluid from parts store or farm supply store. No ATF+4 for yours.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts