Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
So far it did. My leak test yesterday didn’t result in any leaks. Tomorrow I’m hoping to get the HVAC vents installed. They sit a good 2” further from the main box than I feel they should. I’ll snap some pictures tomorrow to show you what I mean. After that, I’ll clean the cab and start the floor sound deadening. The door trim will be last. Whatever leftover material I have from the floors will go to the doors.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Nice! Starting to really look great.

Your comment about not having interior lights before made me think about this (especially since all your wiring is gloriously exposed at the moment)... It's on my todo list to disconnect the cargo lamp from the headlight switch and put it on a separate switch. Turning the headlight switch to 'cargo' leaves the interior lights on, which means you can't actually see out the rear window, which sucks. I suspect it's setup that way on purpose so you don't leave your cargo lamps on while driving, but, meh. Still sucks. For me, specifically, I want it to be able to see my fifth wheel hitch in the dark while backing up, but... anyway. If you think that might be a useful mod for you too, be a lot easier to do it now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Figured out the wiring thing today. It appears we were correct with the wiring thought process on the passenger side. There are two different kinds of door boots: 94-97 pictured here:

And then 98-01:

The 94-97 one is rounded on the end that connects to the cab where as the 98-01 is rectangular.
I have a 97 and i have the rectangular connections on mine from the factory

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
I have a 97 and i have the rectangular connections on mine from the factory
Interesting. Cab side of the boots for me had round holes. I wonder when the switch to rectangular holes. Also, where does your wiring harness disconnect? Mine disconnected in the cab a few inches inside. The rectangular boot connections are literally inside the boot.

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Nice! Starting to really look great.

Your comment about not having interior lights before made me think about this (especially since all your wiring is gloriously exposed at the moment)... It's on my todo list to disconnect the cargo lamp from the headlight switch and put it on a separate switch. Turning the headlight switch to 'cargo' leaves the interior lights on, which means you can't actually see out the rear window, which sucks. I suspect it's setup that way on purpose so you don't leave your cargo lamps on while driving, but, meh. Still sucks. For me, specifically, I want it to be able to see my fifth wheel hitch in the dark while backing up, but... anyway. If you think that might be a useful mod for you too, be a lot easier to do it now.
Not a bad idea honestly. It would be super easy to do as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Interesting. Cab side of the boots for me had round holes. I wonder when the switch to rectangular holes. Also, where does your wiring harness disconnect? Mine disconnected in the cab a few inches inside. The rectangular boot connections are literally inside the boot.

The plugs are in the boot and they are a real pain to deal with

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Past couple days I got some time to start laying down the 80 mil Noico. It’s somewhat of a process. Odd shapes and curves kinda make it annoying. As I mentioned earlier, I’m going for about 90-95% coverage. Right now I’m laying down the big sections. Small areas that require pieces to be shaped will be done after. Here are some progress pictures.

Driver’s side:
74377786-0F9B-4602-B045-0576E4968265.jpeg

Passenger side:
D269A69A-95EA-46DE-A891-A614FDB1D9B6.jpeg

Tunnel. I may actually double up near the transmission. It seems flimsy to me.
66043F4D-51B5-4C2B-974C-D71D8E25BFB9.jpeg

96D73F53-5AD4-4628-AC98-FA7325C7320E.jpeg

So far, with just that, there is a huge difference. It feels a lot more solid than without it. The back wall I think I’ll see the most improvement. Tapping it bare sounds like I’m inside a tin can.

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Carpet is mostly in along with the passenger side trim.

My new challenge is making the 98’s seats work. The wiring from the 00 cab doesn’t match. I read somewhere the way the seatbelts work changed in 99. Anyway. I have a couple options. I can hot wire the seats to function (they need power to release) manually, or open the seats and manually remove the solenoids. That solves the functioning aspect, however, it won’t solve the dash light part. Between the 98 manual I downloaded and the 01 manual I downloaded, I think I can determine the correct two wires to splice together to make that work. I’ll be undertaking that Sunday and will report back. Here’s a shot of the passenger side interior so far.
3F72241C-6622-41E4-8C7E-01579F8B02D6.jpeg

·
Registered
595 Posts
Really starting to come together now! Are you gonna leave the trim panels beige? Also, out of curiosity, does that rear trim panel not need to come out to get the headliner in? I'm almost certain on the EC the whole rear trim needs to come out (or at least, half-off) to get the headliner in/out, but it looks like on that QC setup there's only that little overlap in the back...

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Really starting to come together now! Are you gonna leave the trim panels beige? Also, out of curiosity, does that rear trim panel not need to come out to get the headliner in? I'm almost certain on the EC the whole rear trim needs to come out (or at least, half-off) to get the headliner in/out, but it looks like on that QC setup there's only that little overlap in the back...
I will be keeping the color. I’m contrasting it with the agate color carpet and I’ll have the headliner reupholstered to match the carpet. You are correct, those back panels will need to come off when I put the headliner in. But they clip in and come off real easy. Plus, with 4 doors, there’s tons of room to work with lol. I just put the panels in for now to see how it will all look.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Plus, with 4 doors, there’s tons of room to work with lol.
Man, I'm not gonna lie, I'm jealous as hell of those QC doors. Not sure I'd be willing to embark upon this level of project to get them, though :)

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Man, I'm not gonna lie, I'm jealous as hell of those QC doors. Not sure I'd be willing to embark upon this level of project to get them, though :)
Just find a 98 12v lol. Easy peasy hah

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Here’s where we’re at as of today. Rear seat and amplifier installed along with the passenger seat. I also removed the passenger and driver side seat covers to get access to the seat belt mechanism. These seats have a solenoid in them that unlocks when power is supplied to them. Because the wiring harness on the seats don’t match the cab side harness, I needed to make the belts function normally. The only way to do that aside from adding power to them, is to remove the solenoid and the plastic locking mechanism. This way, I still only need 2 wires running to my seat: seat belt light, and the ground. Hopefully it all works when I put the seat in.

Anyway, things will kinda slow down here. Going BACK to CDL tomorrow for the next two weeks. The school let me leave and come back (COVID nonsense). Pictures!!
7FC3A162-19CF-488F-8416-C52693F104D0.jpeg

0E23EF2F-3B39-4B23-AE8C-8C1FDBA4FC35.jpeg

121 - 134 of 134 Posts