Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

101 - 120 of 131 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Well, good, it's cold out today and I really didn't want to dig around under my kick panel trying to see if I had one :D That's good to know that it looks fully populated too. I doubt you'll be able to find replacement connectors. Probably gonna need to pull one from another truck. Worst case scenario, cut it off and put bullet or spade connectors on the wires you need and tape the rest up.

Hey, while you got the harness all out and just lying there... Did your truck come with factory fog lamps? It would shock me that they would actually use a separate harness p/n for non-fog trucks (especially since my manual truck has an O/D connector!), but I've never been able to find the fog connector. If your truck didn't have factory fogs, can you look around and see if it's there and taped to something, and what it's taped to?
It didn’t have the lights. I know I have the wiring under the hood. I’ll look for connectors and what not tonight when the wife goes to bed.

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Well, good, it's cold out today and I really didn't want to dig around under my kick panel trying to see if I had one :D That's good to know that it looks fully populated too. I doubt you'll be able to find replacement connectors. Probably gonna need to pull one from another truck. Worst case scenario, cut it off and put bullet or spade connectors on the wires you need and tape the rest up.

Hey, while you got the harness all out and just lying there... Did your truck come with factory fog lamps? It would shock me that they would actually use a separate harness p/n for non-fog trucks (especially since my manual truck has an O/D connector!), but I've never been able to find the fog connector. If your truck didn't have factory fogs, can you look around and see if it's there and taped to something, and what it's taped to?
I guess I’m splicing!

I did some looking around. The connector is identical to the OD connector, just grey. The location is “Behind Fog Lamp Switch” and not shown in the FSM. I’m unclear of where this would be, but a quick look of everything and I didn’t see a connector that matches what the FSM describes.
1C035A2B-20FD-4400-AA1B-2CAE48E2881C.jpeg

·
Registered
581 Posts
Did you have the OD connector? I've got to imagine they come out of the harness in the same place, or close to, since the switches are right next to each other (They go where that odd little 'pocket' in the dash is). I was surprised to find the OD connector in my own harness but not the fog connector. Have felt around all back there. Was really hoping it's just taped up tightly somewhere.

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
I do have the OD connector as well. Unfortunately there is no fog light plug :/. Kinda bummed because I have factory fog lights to put in. Looks like I’ll just have to wire them separately.

On another note, I got the hydroboost and clutch master cylinder installed along with the pedal assembly today. I also mounted the e-brake pedal and ran the cable.

Tomorrow I’ll focus on the door sanding and painting. How much should I sand down to? Remove the clear coat, or will roughing that up suffice for now?

·
Registered
581 Posts
I do have the OD connector as well. Unfortunately there is no fog light plug :/. Kinda bummed because I have factory fog lights to put in. Looks like I’ll just have to wire them separately.
Yea. Kinda planning to make a switch panel up in the overhead console, I had given up on finding that connector... I put factory fogs in when I had my bumper off last year, but they're not hooked up yet. Man. I can't believe fogs were such a rare option that it made sense for Dodge to have a separate interior harness for them.

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Yeah I agree. Maybe they were such a rarely chosen option at the time? Or maybe it just wasn’t all that difficult to add. Who knows.

Today was a slow day. Torqued the brake master cylinder nuts and sanded and painted the hood. It’s roughly installed. Once the fenders go back on, I can align it. Looks “meh”, but it’s loads better than it was before. When I painted it last time, a little rain cloud decided to show up just as I finished. It was a horrible teal (primer color for silver I suppose) with splotches of black for YEARS lol. But I’ve always had my mind set on the end game (professional paint job), so aesthetics never bothered me.

Looks like rain tomorrow, so I’ll be putsin’ around the garage. Wife wants me to clean the drain line for the dish washer. I suppose I’ll do that!

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you haven't t ordered your flooring yet I will whole heartily recommend Stock Interiors. I just installed their molder vinyl flooring and it is awesome. Fast delivery, quick to answer questions, made in South Carolina too. They have install videos too on their site. I ordered and had it at my house in less than a week.

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Yeah, I did that when I had the ‘97 cab still on. They wanted 25% for restocking AND I had to pay for shipping when I wanted to return it ... I’ve been trying to sell it in the classifieds along with the ABS headliner since February.

I can get the EXACT carpet from Rock Auto cheaper, and shipping is about half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Not TOO much progress. Weather has been a PITA. Too windy to paint, or rainy. Or I get sidetracked fixing something else.

Anyway, I got the rear driver side door painted and on. A little more adjusting to do, but it closes solid.
803D2D26-1D2F-4584-B393-299C3992F23E.jpeg

Driver door painted today. Some nice Rustoleum gloss black lol.
093F6005-ACCF-4B70-B033-D9F43EBBF0F4.jpeg

When I started sanding the passenger side rear door I noticed some ugly rust at the bottom (one of the things side tracking completion). Luckily I bought some POR 15 when I thought I was going to fix the ‘97 cab.
8F59A97F-E1E7-4952-81D0-BF9C77DAF56B.jpeg

Another thing I decided to do was paint the inside of the fenders. This is a process because they’re dirty and oily. Passenger side came out nicely though.
19AF692E-87F9-4F30-A66F-26ACFE903B57.jpeg

Got some rain moving in tomorrow, so can’t do anything. Once I finish the doors and can keep rain out, I’ll clean the inside of the cab with a hose. I’ll put the rear wiring harness in and seal the 3rd brake light. Then I can install the HVAC box and hook everything up on the passenger side of the engine bay (computer, AC lines, heater core lines which I’m also sanding and painting, and install the fender). From there I’ll move to the driver side of the engine bay and hook all that back up to include all new PS hoses, then install the fender. From there, I can start with the sound deadening material (Noico 80 mil). Then install the dash. Run wires how I want. Carpeting. Seats. Trim panels. Finally I can begin making my new dash!

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Updates!!! Did some work Friday. Pretty much just getting the rest of the doors on and aligned. Much easier than I imagined honestly. Had the wife help me put them in, then I spent the time adjusting them. All four close real smooth. I’m happy. Passenger side are still white though. Oh well! I’ll get to paint later with it.
C9ED5BFC-119F-482C-9DA7-BB09CF9F7E20.jpeg

343C585C-0818-4CBB-A9FE-6C7898990DC5.jpeg

Today was adding the sound deadener to the firewall behind the HVAC box. Went pretty smoothly. The Noico is very easy to work with. I wiped the wall down with acetone and then started applying. I didn’t do 100% coverage. Probably closer to about 90%. Here’s the final product.
083938C8-FD16-4048-BAFD-8CCC81D304D6.jpeg

I also got the HVAC box installed along with the computer and the fender. Pretty decent day. My solution for the areas in the firewall the evap. core and heater core lines pass though is going to be spray foam. I can’t think of another suitable alternative. The foam pieces I removed when I took the box out were toast. Original cores. 20 plus years lol. Anyway, maybe some more work tomorrow. I’d like to finish sanding down the heater core metal lines and paint them, but I need a dremel or something. The curves are a PITA to sand down.

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Oh, and with an entirely new AC system (core, lines, and compressor), how much oil should I put in? Compressor says it has 6.4 oz. of PAG 46 in it already. The kit from Rock Auto I got gave me an 8 oz. bottle of PAG 100. Can I use some of that and squirt an ounce or two into the evap. core?

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's real good progress. I just did the carpet in mine, Took me 2 full days due to getting side tracked.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
That's real good progress. I just did the carpet in mine, Took me 2 full days due to getting side tracked.:rolleyes:
It’s my own worst enemy lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Judging by the picture you posted in the "what did you do to your truck today" thread, it looks like you got side tracked a lot and ended up with a full interior redo. Looks good though.

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Yesterday I got the driver side fender sanded down. I had a wwheel for my grinder which helped with the heater core pipes. Got those down to bare metal and painted as well. Last thing painted and sanded were the inner fender supports (I guess that’s what you’d call them).

Today I painted the driver side fender. Put the sound deadening on the driver side of things. I put in the passenger side fender support bracket. Put the dash frame and wiring in just to get an idea of things. I was about to do the heater core pipes, but when I flipped them over yesterday painting, I guess they weren’t dry enough yet, so they needed a quick touch up. Last thing was the PS hoses. All new from Rock Auto.
***Just a tip, they don’t come with the portion of metal hose that comes off the hydroboost. So don’t chuck your lines!!! Luckily I didn’t, but I panicked! lol. Anyway. Here are some pictures.

Heater cores hoses
4B8C360F-293D-497D-8C31-BC07046EC03F.jpeg
Driver side fender
B0AEE085-EC08-4C89-9E5F-B1FC21F91FD8.jpeg

Passenger side of under the hood
7D277651-E800-495C-AEFA-8ECE6FAA2515.jpeg

Driver side
44CBBC30-0C9F-4DE9-88D1-B73A878C307E.jpeg

Here is what I’m talking about with the PS hoses. The metal portions going to the hydroboost you must keep!!!
FE3668FC-9182-4F78-A3A8-AF8203747A6A.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Got quite a bit done today. The most notable is I have power!!!! Hooked up enough stuff to get the power windows working so I could roll up the driver side window. We got some rain moving in over night and into the morning. Aside from that, the steering wheel is back in as well. The driver side fender is on with everything reattached. I got the heater core tubes on as well. The wipers are hooked up and the cowel installed. Everything under the hood is basically all done. Last things are filling the PS pump with fluid and bleeding and running all my extra wires through the firewall. I’m going to the auto parts store to check out rubber grommets. Figure I’ll drill another hole and run the wires through it. Got quite a few wires. AFCL, wastegate controller, mechanical oil pressure gauge, boost gauge, pyro gauge, and fuel pressure gauge.

The next improvement will be the sport headlight upgrade. My factory style lense on the passenger side got ruined by myself while painting the inner fender. Oops lolI’ll be following @dauntless89 ‘s write up on the “Super Sport”. It also turns out that my truck was damaged on the driver side fender at some point and the outer fender (not the wheel well) was replaced. And replaced with a ‘98-‘01 fender because it already is enlarged. The only cutting I’ll have to do is on the passenger side.

Anyway, here’s today’s photos. Oh. And I installed the cabin air filter from Geno’s. It goes on top of the cowel which was a surprise to me lol. Went on quickly and easily.
474F829C-716C-4801-945C-E41B3D20763D.jpeg

Inside the cab
C91BABC7-66C5-44CC-A734-035297785B67.jpeg

And here is a shot of the cabin filter from Geno’s.
DF9B18AA-91C1-432C-8794-C04DCC962EE7.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
That rain showed me I have a few leaks into the cab. Looks like the back window and somewhere on the passenger side towards the front. Windshield is smashed on the top left (as you look at the truck) corner, but I didn’t see evidence of water around it on the inside. I’m hoping it’s old weather stripping, because I already bought new ones. Tomorrow’s task!!

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Well, it appears it’s time for an update here lol. I’ve been chipping away at this kinda slowly. Days off here and there for weather, or spending time with the family.

I had a few days involving leak testing in the cab. Turns out water was getting in behind the weather stripping (brand new from Rock Auto). I wound up putting some Permatex weather stripping sealant in the groove that goes on the lip of the cab from the top rear corner to the bottom rear corner. There are two body seams there, so I think that may solve the problem. I also siliconed the back sliding window. Water was pouring in and I never used my old one, so it’s no loss to me. We got rain this evening, so hopefully I find out if anything is leaking tomorrow first thing. If not, then I’ll hook up the garden hose again and check!

I’m also doing the “Super Sport” headlight upgrade by dauntless89. In my attempt to leave no loose ends, I checked the FSM to locate the splices for the high and low beam wires so I could remove the driver side wires completely (the wiring only requires running one of each wire and the relay/fuse panel mounts on the passenger side). Well, I couldn’t find the high beam splice. I spent the better part of yesterday retaping and cleaning up all wiring on the driver side coming out of the firewall and running down behind the battery box to the the driver side head lamp. Nice and clean now lol. Then I moved inside and started cleaning up the connectors under the dash and mounting everything neatly.

Today was monumental for me. I plugged in the dome light and the overhead console to see if all my splicing was right, and it was!!! Lights work just as they should. Including the map lights when you push them, as well as when you turn the headlight switch knob. I’m pretty happy. I never had interior lights in my vehicles. My other is a ‘97 Wrangler with a soft top lol.

Tomorrow I will be double checking for water leaks. If all goes well, hopefully speaker install with door trim and head unit to see if my audio works. Then clean the floor and continue with the sound deadening!!! Here’s a few pictures.

Aux. wiring through the firewall (boost, EGT, fuel, oil, Turbo Tuner, and AFCL) from inside. Drilled the hole just above the throttle pedal. I picked a grommet that would fit all the wires tightly:
94D01F29-C7F8-4B92-ABA6-B55EAD0B9CE7.jpeg

Under the hood:
C991814B-D0E0-427D-B2CD-4E66CD10356E.jpeg

Here’s a look of the current dash situation:
817DB688-0FE7-4F7C-867E-63A81E06CD7C.jpeg

Here’s a splice I made. These are the pink and yellow wires for my overhead console that were previously never wired into my truck. After all my digging in the FSM, I found the connector responsible for the overhead console. It has about 10 wires in it because there is a high line (temp. sensor and compass) and a low line (just lights) cluster. I just have the low line and only need the two wires. My only option here was cutting and splicing.
FC661DE5-61A4-48A7-90E7-ACAC6F5067C5.jpeg

Lastly, the sport headlights. I think $109 on EBay? Look solid to me.
E7A9DF73-C775-4E18-BA1A-0D4DC686B4D7.jpeg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Some good progress for sure. Perfect time to do the sport headlight too.
Can you take a pic of where you put the permatex?

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Today was another successful day!!! Cab is waterproof and I got all my speakers installed and I hooked up the head unit and a battery. Music to all 4. The only one I had to hard wire was the driver side front. The PO put some rinkydink speaker in and cut the factory harness off. Lame. Anyway. Simple.

And here are the requested pictures of where I put the permatex weather stripping sealant. I’ll take a picture of the squeeze bottle tomorrow.

From arrow to arrow I applied the sealant.
BE368FB3-7861-4597-B682-1C86C7F3905D.jpeg

Here are the two seams. arrow:
0780A879-7E08-4562-9F5C-511A5E209799.jpeg

The other is about half way down:
A8DEE583-9162-468C-BE0C-1634B32B2B96.jpeg

101 - 120 of 131 Posts