Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First oil change at 3400 miles (suspect fuel dilution) using Valvoline Premium Blue 15W-40 (meets all of the listed specs) and a Fleetguard LF16035 filter - gained 11-12 psi on the 'real' oil pressure gauge while hot and running at 75mph on the highway. When the gauge was installed at ~2000 miles oil pressure read at about 50psi at 75mph now it hangs over 60 at the same speed in the same gear.

To me this seems like an odd jump for just new oil and a filter change with a relatively low number of miles on the old oil; I'm curious to see how the pressure changes as the oil soots up / gets diluted with fuel. I will be sending a sample in for analysis.

Pressure is being read from the same place that the factory switch is located. (Drivers side of the engine block)

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
very interesting information.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,242 Posts
Your truck came with the same Valvoline oil from the factory.

There was a thread about Dodge now using Valvoline. But if i am not mistaking that the dealers use delro oil if you get the oil changed at a dealer.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I changed the oil/filter in my truck last Saturday. I am using Chevron Delo 400 / Fram filter. I made sure the truck was warm. I also made sure the oil was in between the marks for safe operation on the dipstick. I put 150 miles on the truck on Sunday. I checked the oil on Monday morning, the oil was well above the top of the safe zone on the dipstick. I asked the Service manager at Chapman Dodge about this and he said it was normal for these trucks to have an increase in the oil level. This is in contrast to what the Diesel Mechanic at Tempe Dodge told me. The mechanic at Tempe dodge said mixing diesel and oil creates sulphuric acid which will eat away at the bearings.

Anyone know the correct answer?

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
3 gallons of oil put mine about 3/4 up the safe zone marker on the dipstick after a run around town - after 270 miles and 2 regens it was above the top of the safe zone.

There is a lot of stuff out there about inconsistent dipstick readings on the 6.7 so I figure I'll check it again a few more times (I have no level ground at either house so I have to check it at work when I actually drive it to work) before declaring that it is 'making' oil.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Was the new oil filter the same as the old one? One of our members posted a couple of pics showing some differences in oil filters recently. They chose to not use one over the other as one filter had smaller flow holes. Just wondering if the filter is affecting your change in oil pressure. You are probably correct that the old oil is diluted with diesel and thinner than the fresh oil. I would bet that as the engine breaks in more that you will see less oil dilution from the regen process.

The oil level in my truck did not change during the first 10,000 kms (2 oil changes). I also installed the dpf delete kit early in the trucks life and it has not seen many regen processes. I did however seem to put a bit too much oil in when I changed the oil. Not sure how I over filled it, but it was about a 1/2 a quart high...the dealership did the same thing when I had it in for its service check. This seems to be a common occurrence.

·
Registered
867 Posts
where should the level be on the dip stick?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Three jugs (12 litres) of Mobil 1 5W-40
fills past the safe zone on my 6.7's dip stick. The truck has 12,000 KMs (7,500 Miles) on it. The oil was changed at 5,000 ond 10,000. The plan is to change it every 10,000 KMs. I'm watching the colour and the level at every fill. I have noticed no level change but the oil does blacken more than I'd like. I'm going to change the filter at 15,000 to see if that keeps it cleaner.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was the new oil filter the same as the old one?
The old filter was the mopar standard issue that came with the truck, the new one is the pricier Fleetguard.

I'm thinking about tossing the old filter back on temporarily just to see if that is what is causing the pressure increase.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Three jugs (12 litres) of Mobil 1 5W-40
fills past the safe zone on my 6.7's dip stick. The truck has 12,000 KMs (7,500 Miles) on it. The oil was changed at 5,000 ond 10,000. The plan is to change it every 10,000 KMs. I'm watching the colour and the level at every fill. I have noticed no level change but the oil does blacken more than I'd like. I'm going to change the filter at 15,000 to see if that keeps it cleaner.
I am going to install a bypass oil filter to help keep the oil cleaner. After I fiinish my egr delete kit the oil will stay cleaner also.

The old filter was the mopar standard issue that came with the truck, the new one is the pricier Fleetguard.

I'm thinking about tossing the old filter back on temporarily just to see if that is what is causing the pressure increase.
Maybe just get a new Mopar one and change it half way through your oil change interval. It might be nice to know if the filter is what caused the change in your oil pressure.

G

·
I put 3 gallons of premium blue in when I changed mine at 3800 miles. Started it up and ran it for a bit. Checked it, and it looked to be near the top of safe on the stick. Decided not to put the last quart in, and checked it 200 miles later and it was a good 1/2 inch above safe. I drained a little, but not enough, it's still a little above the safe mark. The oil was still draining ever so slowly when I put the plug back in, but it had been draining that slow for 20 mins., and it would of took like 3 hours to get another quart out at that rate, if there was actually that much still in there. I used a napa gold filter.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Fram Filter Question

I tried a Fram oil filter on mine first change, but it swelled up the first time that I drove the truck, The filter wrench that I put it on with would NOT fit over the filter to remove it! I had to take it off with a chain wrench! now I only use the MO285 filters from the dealership!

·
Registered
417 Posts
My first oil change with the factory filter I was was not able to get the factory filter off. I bought a filter wrench. I was not able to get the filter of with the wrench; It would just slip while I tried to turn the filter. Normally when I have this kind of problem I poke a hole in the filter with a screw driver and get the filter off with a screw driver. Because this is my new pickup I chose to take the truck in for a $87 oil change and let the dealer get the filter off for me. Now I have been using the fram filters only because the Dodge dealer is further from my house then the local parts store. I put the filter on by hand and remove it by hand. I have not had problem after the first oil change.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I read about the overly tight oil filters and started out with a chain wrench on mine - it was tight but not cheater bar tight, doubtful that the little plastic filter wrenches could've gotten it off.

I find the lack of consistency in dipstick readings to be very strange, in theory if mine shooting up over .5" in just under 300 miles is due to fuel dilution from the 2 regen cycles then in a few thousand more miles I should have a crankcase overflowing with fuel with a bit of oil mixed in with it...

At this point I'm not going to bother with draining anything off, my 3.5 gallon bucket was almost to the top with used oil and 3 gallons went in as called for in the manual, I'll monitor it and deal with it as needed.

The oil filter thing sounds plausible and I will try a generic filter to see if it drops the oil pressure.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tossed a $5 Walmart special (Fram) filter on in place of the Fleetguard StrataPore, same oil pressure readings between the two.

·
Registered
146 Posts
isn't Fram bad for your engine? I heard from a diesel mechanic that one of his friends done an oil change and used a Fram filter and while he was pullin a gooseneck, the filter media collapsed, and trash went through the engine, clogging oil passages so the bottom half of the engine seized, causing lots of damage. personally, I avoid Fram at all costs, I heard too many stories.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've heard a few as well... the Fram isn't staying on there I just wanted to see if there would be any difference in the OP between it and the Fleetguard.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts