Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if someone could give me some advice when it comes to intakes. I have a 01' 5.9 that is all stock with the exception of the muffler delete kit. I would like to throw an intake on that's good, but don't want to spend too much $$$ if at all possible. I appreciate your time, thanks:thumbsup

·
T-BONE
987 Posts
Well I just ordered a AFE Bladerunner...I talked to the owner of the local Diesel Shop and he sayd they are all about the same as far as performance. He did however not reccomend the Banks... and they are all about the same price. Don't order the AFE Bladerunner from Laguna Speed Shop....they are on back order and it took 6 wks to get.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Just put on a Napa 2790 aka BHAF with an outerwear prefilter and made me a heat shield and it works great and I am into it 70 bucks. My buddy has a stage 1 AFE progaurd 7 and our intake temps are about the same and it has the same affects as far as I have noticed. But 70 bucks compared to 300 to me is alot

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, I appreciate it. I'm a do-it your'selfer so I think i'm going to look into the Napa idea. $70 sounds pretty good to me!:peelout

·
Cummins CrAzY
1,366 Posts
I was told by Van Haisley that they dynoed several intakes and actually LOST horse power... Im still running my stock one for that reason. Just my .02.

·
T-BONE
987 Posts
Crap...:thud: I was talkn bout Intake Manifold....I misread it. Well if your not wanting to spend some money, don't look at a Volant. They're pricey but good.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
well...with diesel at $5 a gallon a 400 dollar AFE stage 2 w/ proguard pays itself back in like 3500 miles with that additional MPG

·
Cummins CrAzY
1,366 Posts
I also thought the was about the intake... MANIFOLD. Not a cold are setup. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I would buy the drop in true flow filter like I do on all my wife's vehicles. Great flow and low maintenance every 50k or so. You can find them on Amazon for less than 50 bucks... sometimes as low as 25.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sounds good. My bad for now specifying "cold air intake":thud:... Looks like it made for some good discussion! :lol3:

·
Cummins CrAzY
1,366 Posts
The best part of a CAI at least with the AFE is you can hear that turbo sing!

·
T-BONE
987 Posts
I also thought the was about the intake... MANIFOLD. Not a cold are setup. Sorry.
:lol3: I thought so...I just automaticly thought of Manifold.....:lol3:

·
Registered
228 Posts
as far as the manifold goes they help 3rd gens but not 2 gens so ive heard
wes

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
The way I understand it the factory airbox is adequate until you get some SERIOUS power numbers. Way past mine, at least. I am always very leery of cold air intakes as they have the nasty tendency to pull water when hitting standing water. I know of a few people who hydrolocked gas engines in this fashion. Granted a couple of them were idiots doing idiot things, but their factory airboxes would have saved them.

Having said that, I personally (though a little embarrassed to admit it) have considered it to hear the songs of my turbo and exhaust brake.:w:

·
I DONT BELIEVE IT!
1,728 Posts
I have a bhaf w/ outerwear and a heat shield . I have gone threw streams up to my doors and hit puddles 2 ft deep going about 40 and havent had a problem yet :thumbsup . They claim the outerwear if water proof . Yet there hasnt been water even on the heat shield so im :hyper::woot:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Get a grid heater delete, they are cheap, and if you are going to install the intake horn with it you dont even need to do any extra work. It also got me about half an extra MPG.

·
Registered
34 Posts
:lol3: I thought so...I just automaticly thought of Manifold.....:lol3:

I guess you like your volante. I was researching which to buy for my 03. Undecided. Do you know which system comes with the torque tube also? Appreciate your help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts