Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2013 2500 Ram Laramie 6-speed. I am looking at putting on a new intake system to my truck. I am having a hard time decided on one. its between:

AFE -Cold Air Intake System
Stage-2
Magnum FORCE PRO 5R Stage-2 Intake System;

or

SB - Cold Air Intake System
Dry Element

Can some members provide some pros and cons for each.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have the Afe.

Pro's: 1st one available, cheaper but not by much, quick install...Maybe 15 minutes. Huge filter that "snaps" into the box before being clamped to the tube. Great sound, nice growl, you can tell there's a turbo now, sounds like a big rig when the exhaust brake kicks in.
Con's: metal box might soak heat in the summer. No other concerns than that.

If you get either intake, you'll be able to hear more than you'll gain in hp. My truck makes a bit more boost under load now, 32+, before it never went over 29 psi. Also, for dry months/summer you can still remove the factory air door for more flow, you just leave the motor there to prevent a CEL. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
About the only gain you'll get for your money will be a little more "noise"...other than that, independent, no bias test labs have proven that the OEM air filter allows the truck to breathe better and filtrate better than after market air filters....yeah, I know this is a moot point, just some don't seem to know or understand this.....just want to spend some extra money so they can hear the turbo better....doesn't make a lot of sense to me to spend extra money for that, but at 63, guess I don't get it, though I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to OEM versus after market air cleaner (it's there for the research)..

·
Registered
656 Posts
Yeah, my dad's the same way. The oem's do a great job of making it work for sure. But having an air filter that's literally 3x the surface area, and using the factory air inlets (with the lid on), I just love my inefficient waste of money. The thread title doesn't ask why not to buy, rather which to buy. Right?

·
Registered
437 Posts
About the only gain you'll get for your money will be a little more "noise"...other than that, independent, no bias test labs have proven that the OEM air filter allows the truck to breathe better and filtrate better than after market air filters....yeah, I know this is a moot point, just some don't seem to know or understand this.....just want to spend some extra money so they can hear the turbo better....doesn't make a lot of sense to me to spend extra money for that, but at 63, guess I don't get it, though I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to OEM versus after market air cleaner (it's there for the research)..
Can you provide links to the "independent, no bias test lab reports". I just did a google search and only came up with one result that was actually a relatively scientific test comparing several aftermarket filters against a stock Mazda filter. Seems like there should be more info on the topic before making an official determination on the subject.

Sorry for the hijack OP, I'm also wondering which of the two would be better. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know that this is not a huge upgrade for performance of the actual filter system. Rams new Ram Air Box is actually just as good for CFM as both of these kits. I am looking just to hear the "turbo noise" better without taking stuff off to make my dash look like a Christmas tree. This is my first turbo truck so i am brand new to all of this. Thanks for all the help guys.

Also, if you guys have any other suggestions please let me know

·
BlackedoUT Member
118 Posts
Can you provide links to the "independent, no bias test lab reports". I just did a google search and only came up with one result that was actually a relatively scientific test comparing several aftermarket filters against a stock Mazda filter. Seems like there should be more info on the topic before making an official determination on the subject.

Sorry for the hijack OP, I'm also wondering which of the two would be better. :thumbsup:
I also couldn't find much online about the s&b dry filter vs oem in a 2013+ dodge cummins application. Any links would he greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just installed the aFe on my 2013 2500 last week. I am really happy. It is louder for sure. I looks good also. I think it is a good start for future mods also.

I have noticed a trend on this forum. People have a very hard time keeping their negative comments to themselves. Everyone is VERY opinionated when it comes to modifying the 2013 Ram 2500/2500. Don't even get me started on the delete bashers.

If its sound and looks what your after, the aFe is top notch! I think the advantages will really shine later down the road.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Well put passat4012, I feel the same way. On topic, to the OP, both intakes are really nice to see and hear. The choice is yours, and I hope you'll post up your impressions and results, no matter which one you choose.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Is that because of the material used for the filter media?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Is that because of the material used for the filter media?
The density of the media is much higher on non oiled bc oiled filters rely more on the oil to trap the dirt rather than the cotton. Also worth noting is that a freshly oiled filter doesn't flow as well as a dirty(relatively) filter. Not so sure about the relativity to our trucks but on my dirtbikes you would dyno minus 1hp on new oiled filters, which is considered a large decrease. Moral of the story, don't wash/oil your filter often.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have the 51-32413, with the pre filter, but I haven't put the lid on it. I am very satisfied with the sound as it is. passat4012, did you notice an increase in boost psi? I saw mine go up after the intake. Sorry OP for the hijack.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I ended up going with the SB Intake for my truck it is on its way to my house. It should be here Monday and i am planning on having on the truck by the end of the week. I will be sure to post photo's and videos when it is completed. Thanks for all the help.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
The aftermarket filters usually allow some dust into the engine and over time will polish the rings and cylinder walls, causing blowby. Any such problem will not be covered under warranty.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.