Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've been reading through a lot of these posts lately and I'm seeing that a lot of you guys are "gutting" the intake manifolds on your trucks?

My question is that I'm slowly modifying the truck as money comes so... Two of the things on my list for the more recent mods was a fuel system and an aftermarket intake manifold (more fuel + more air = more power right?)

So does gutting the one i have equal buying a new one or is that just a quick easy way to gain better air intake for now? and what does actually "gutting" it consist of?

·
Premium Member
2,464 Posts
You cant "gut" the intake manifold which is the metal tube going into the head on the drivers side of the motor. But you can gut the stock intake tube. The plastic tube going from the elbow at the filter to the elbow at the turbo can be removed and you can cut baffles out of it to help out flow, I did it before i got my intake and it didnt really make much of a difference in the seat of the pants.

Reactions: Kstephatos

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oright must have been confused in what i was reading then... that helps then. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,464 Posts
An aftermarket intake manifold wont really net you the seat of the pants kinda power maybe a slight increase in spool and 50* lower egts but its once more thing to reduce restriction of air flow to the motor. I bought my intake manifold just for the ports not really for the performances gains, but you can get one for about 150 bucks look up pusher.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that was one reason that I was looking into it was because of the ports.. I would rather bolt something on than drill and destroy my turbo... for some reason I'm terrified of that.

·
Premium Member
2,464 Posts
Well that was one reason that I was looking into it was because of the ports.. I would rather bolt something on than drill and destroy my turbo... for some reason I'm terrified of that.
lol yeah drilling can be scary and the stock intake manifold is a bad design since where the mounting bolts are it cuts into the airflow. I got the S&B manifold since it had 6 ports IRRC that way i always have room for whatever

1 - 6 of 6 Posts