Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I need some help.

I was puttin on my new CFM+ last night and I stripped one of the four bolt holes that hold the grid heater and the intake horn in place. It was the back left one (if you are standing at the front bumper looking at the engine). I didn't really torque it that much but it still stripped.

How can I fix it?:thud::thud::thud:

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
Alright guys, I need some help.

I was puttin on my new CFM+ last night and I stripped one of the four bolt holes that hold the grid heater and the intake horn in place. It was the back left one (if you are standing at the front bumper looking at the engine). I didn't really torque it that much but it still stripped.

How can I fix it?:thud::thud::thud:
are you sure you didnt strip the bolt threads? those bolts are much weaker than the cast iron your threading into, i would look a bit closer and if thats the case then run a tap into the anifold and get a new bolt to the same length.

if it is the manifold thats stripped then you need to get a tap one size bigger and tap it , use a magnet to get the debris and get the right size bolt matching the tap you have.:thumbsup

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with Diesel Power, that it may be the bolt vice the manifold. Try taking another bolt and see if it tightens down. If it does then replace bolt.

If the threads are messed up. I found that using a helicoil repair kit is the best option. You can get them at any autoparts store.

-------------------------------------
04.5 Dodge 2500 5.9L, Lvl Kit, Banks Intake, smarty jr.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought the same thing you guys did when it first happen, so I checked the bolt but the threads looked fine. I went ahead and tried another bolt but it did the same thing. The bolt just wiggled right through. It has to be the manifold.:thud::thud::thud:

If I re-tap the manifold to a bigger size will I be able to fit the bigger bolt through the grid heater and the intake horn?

·
Premium Member
25,253 Posts
What about a heli coil in the manifold, back to the original size?

Dodge | Commins | Forum

·
Premium Member
2,902 Posts
What about a heli coil in the manifold, back to the original size?
Helicoil will fix it. try your local hardware store for them. Ace carry a big variety of them, but wouldn't know anything about that directly:w:
since i use the German torque wrench gootantight
John:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
either way while you are there do a grid heater delete

1 - 7 of 7 Posts