Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never gotten into the intake horn and boost tubes yet. I plan to upgrade mine in a few months but want to keep the grid heater in place.

I am not sure where the grid heater is located and what I need to do or not do to keep it in place should I upgrade my intake horn and boost tube.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,823 Posts
no problem keeping the grid heater in place if you upgrade the intake horn. You will not gain quite as much flow by leaving it and there are a few "grid heater relocation" options out there. But if you want to leave the factory one in there thats no problem. The intake horn is bolted to the plate that the gird heater sits in so when you take off your intake horn (6 bolts) you will see the grid heater right there in the plate still on the truck you wont need to do anything with it except bolt you new intake horn on and boost tube and enjoy.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I believe that the grid heater is located under the intake horn,you should probaly give it a good cleaning when you remove your old intake and install your new one.Use a shopvac,do a search here and it should give you some idea as how to clean it,or just ask the vendor were you plan on buying your parts and see what they say.I'm going to do mine when the weather breaks in the next month or so.

·
Registered
20 Posts
When i did my full EGR delete i removed the intake horn from the boost tube and manifold and sprayed it out with hot water and a wire brush to get most of the soot built up in to. I removed the grid heater to clean the manifold out with a shopvac and taped a piece of hose to the end of it to reach into the manifold, cleaned it out pretty good.

·
Premium Member
3,823 Posts
yeah you can clean it and will need to more than likely. I would suggest using like a little stainless steel wire brush (tooth brush like) and shop vac it continuously while your brushing it. some of those little carbon deposit will be hard and could get knocked down int he intake and sucked into a cylinder

1 - 5 of 5 Posts