Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

intake baffles

1520 Views 11 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Dodgefan01
did anyone notice a difference when they cut out the baffles in the intake between the filter and turbo.....more noise or power or would changing it to 4'' pvc be better.... it just doesn't seem very smooth lots of restriction..
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Here to learn
1,878 Posts
I removed mine when I removed my silencer ring so I could hear the turbo sing. I don't think there is any performance gains.

· Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i just started on it how did you do it.im using a dremal and its taken an hours to go an inch

· Diesel Junkie
10,448 Posts
I just pulled it out, did you pop the cap off the straight section? If you pop the cap off you can pull the baffels out and then glue the cap back on, search Gutted intake

· Here to learn
1,878 Posts

· Registered
376 Posts
I think its definitely worth the time. Only took me like 20 mins, sealed her back up with some RTV and electrical tape so it matched the black. Definitely makes the turbo louder and seems more worthwhile to me than taking out the 'Silencer' Ring. Only thing better I would think would be to replace the whole torque tube with 5" exhaust piping. Can't really imagine you'll get any noticeable performance gains from either, but it sure does make the turbo louder.

· Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok guys thanks for all the help. it was a lot clearer when i looked at it after some rest...im waiting for my glue to set up with a grin and nervous shack......hahaha cant wait....thanks again

· Registered
77 Posts
You know I did this and it might sound stupid, but I am having a fuel mileage problem. and it all started after I removed the baffle. I did notice an increase on turbo lag, as well as lost some throttle response. But the biggest deal is my fuel mileage has dropped from 18 mpg to 11 mpg. I have had the truckin the shop (dealer) several times and they can not explain why? I checked my calender and the weekend I removed it is pretty much when I can trace back my fuel mileage dropping. Hopefully I'm just being stupid or is this pheasible. Sorry guys didn't mean to steal this thread!

· Here to learn
1,878 Posts
Mine went down too. I can't keep my foot out of it. I just love to hear the sound of the turbo singing.

Other than that, I don't think you can lose 7 mpg just from taking out the baffles.

· Premium Member
1,804 Posts
:ditto:.............:ditto:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.