Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of us have already figured out, it does not take long to add big $$$'s to your truck in upgrades. Not all of mine are in my sig, but so far the total is hovering around $18k. The truck is worth $15k and I'm paying about $80/month in full coverage. Now, that does not include the add-ons. I've tried specality insurance companies, collectables, street rods, etc., and all of them said the newest they can do is a 1989. Regular insurance companies will insure the truck for book value, but not the add-ons. I found one company that will insure the truck and the add-ons under an "agreed value" policy. They want to inspect it and see all the reciepts, not a big deal. Here comes the kicker, for 6 months the premium is $1300 but if I pay the 6 months up front it comes down to $1050. WTF?!?!?!? I can get a brand new truck for $50k and the insurance is $1200 for the year, I'm only doing $33k and it's more than double. Does not make much sense.

What are you guys doing???:popcorn:

·
Texas Chapter President
837 Posts
Thats about all you can do...I know some companies I work with will let you add the extras on for a premium but most you can only go up to a certain limit!

·
Registered
98 Posts
you pay $80 a month for full coverage? dang i pay $180. what insurance company do you use? i think it might be time to get some quotes.

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you pay $80 a month for full coverage? dang i pay $180. what insurance company do you use? i think it might be time to get some quotes.
I was using AAA and they were about $85/month now I'm using Farmers Insurance Group. They also have my other autos and house. The discount on the truck was not much but off my Yukon was quite a bit compared to AAA. I got a clean driving record which helps a lot. If I got one ticket they add a 60% surcharge.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Not sure about all the "add ons" being insured on my trucks, but I have a '94, an '01, and a '97 Taurus with a $1000 deductible and "broad-form" collision (in the event someone hits me) and I pay under $900/6 months for all three. The '01 Cummins is the most expensive of the three - of course.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am with Progressive and pay $50.00 a month . $100.00 deductable on Glass $500.00 Deductable on everything else .

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
:thumbsupi have state farm w/ 1 point on driving record. i currently pay $180 for full coverage on my 2006 dodge ram 2500, 2007 gsxr1000 , and a 75000 life insurance policy. oh yeah and it covers upto $20000 worth of extra goodies for my truck and $15000 in extra goods for bike. my agent even said he didn't even need to look at my extra goodies. Just bring in a receipt in the event , that something like that would ever come up.:thumbsup:thumbsup CAn't wait to see what my rate is after that point drops off in AUG.:thumbsup:thumbsup:hyper::hyper:

If you need the # to my agent ,, please pm me for info. I will get a free $20 gas card if you sign up. good luck

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was using AAA and they were about $85/month now I'm using Farmers Insurance Group. They also have my other autos and house. The discount on the truck was not much but off my Yukon was quite a bit compared to AAA. I got a clean driving record which helps a lot. If I got one ticket they add a 60% surcharge.
yeah i have a speeding ticket on my record 55 in a 35, $195 that thing cost me:lol3: and im 23 so that doesnt help much im sure. i am with state farm though but $180 per month seems steep, even with a ticket on my record

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm with State Farm, insure a 2004 Quad cab CTD, $250 deductible, $100/$300 K liability, uninsured motorists, and just about evrything else, cost of $319 per six months. Get a 2 car discount, my wifes 97 Mercury Cougar costs $289 per six months, with $100K/$50 K liability, and also $250 Deductible, but we do also have home owners insurance with them, which discounts all three. We also have passed a Safe Driving course, which cost each of us a $12 fee, but gives us a 15 % insurance discount.
These premiums are in spite of my having totalled out a 96 CTD,just 3 years ago, but I have not received any tickets or point adding items for over 10 years, which probably helps also, plus some areas just have higher insurance costs.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
We had full coverage with progressive and our truck was stolen in town, and they refused to pay... No more progressive for us, horrible experience.

Merrick

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
As most of us have already figured out, it does not take long to add big $$$'s to your truck in upgrades. Not all of mine are in my sig, but so far the total is hovering around $18k. The truck is worth $15k and I'm paying about $80/month in full coverage. Now, that does not include the add-ons. I've tried specality insurance companies, collectables, street rods, etc., and all of them said the newest they can do is a 1989. Regular insurance companies will insure the truck for book value, but not the add-ons. I found one company that will insure the truck and the add-ons under an "agreed value" policy. They want to inspect it and see all the reciepts, not a big deal. Here comes the kicker, for 6 months the premium is $1300 but if I pay the 6 months up front it comes down to $1050. WTF?!?!?!? I can get a brand new truck for $50k and the insurance is $1200 for the year, I'm only doing $33k and it's more than double. Does not make much sense.

What are you guys doing???:popcorn:
I've heard from a few different people that if you have all the receipts they have to pay up if it gets totaled, anybody had any experience with this?

As far as me, i'm with the Gecko, 152.00 covers my truck with full coverage and my car with liability, i've got a speeding and seatbelt ticket and my wife, well, lets not go there, but she has plenty. I've shopped for years, but no one ever comes close for us.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts