Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Insulate intake horn?

1973 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  CudaHauler
Just finished up my new homemade intake. Also added a Coaltrain grid heater delete. A friend stopped by and told me I need to wrap insulation around it. Are there any gains from doing this?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2,797 Posts
never heard of anyone doing it, aem makes their torque tubes out of metal, the tubes running from turbo to i/c & i/c to intake horn are also metal minus connecting boots. would be interesting to see if insulating all would be a worthwhile. nice lookn intake:thumbsup

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought the tab on the dipstick would end up closer to the intake. Oh well, nothing the welder can't fix.

· Registered
48 Posts
i just put a cfm plus elbow on mine, sweet piece. in there product info they claim they make it out of composite materal because it wont absorb under hood heat into it. the stock cast piece is very restrictive and they claim absorbes heat tranferring it into your intake air charge.

· Registered
217 Posts
wat size pipe did u use did u notice a difference

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I used 3" exhaust pipe, mandrel j-bend, 4" radius.
I did notice a difference, but I think it's because I turned the Smarty Jr. up to 100 HP!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.