Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, some of you may remember my post about pulling my dash out to fix the blend doors and afterwards my airbag light came on. I took it to the dealer and they diagnosed a bad OCR (which is the air bag control module). They ordered it and installed it yesterday but the airbag light came back on so they narrowed it down to possibly being the cluster. They wanted to charge more money for another diagnosis but I said forget it. I'll figure it out because it most likely is a bad cluster.

So anyways, my question is, are the instrument clusters extremely vehicle specific? I was looking on eBay for a new one and it looks like clusters vary according to fuel type, transmission type AND speed sensitive door locks? Not too mention I've noticed the plug colors are different. Some have the white connector on the right with the grey on the left and others are the opposite.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Not 100 percent for sure on this but I think the clusters are vin sensitive. I did a dash conversion in my 03 to an 06 dash and when I did I plugged in the 06 a/c controls and had all kinds of vin error codes. Ended up pulling the guts from the 03 switch and putting it in the 06 housing but anyway im pretty sure you can not just grab a cluster and throw it in without some kind of dealer flash or something similar. Good luck

·
Registered
705 Posts
I have a buddy in town that has replaced a couple clusters, and he told me when you change them you need to order from the dealer because they are vin specific and then they will program the milage in at the dealer because if they dont the odometer starts back at zero. The odometer thing would be great but they wont hand them over until you give them the mileage.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Op. I know there are some differences between 06/07 because i have both. I am haveing a brain fart now but the only thing i can think of right now is the 06 fog light emblem is in the cluster area and my 07 the fog light emblem is in the odometer. I know there are some other diff. But not sure on wire hookups never had em out.

Sorry i cant be more help. Its fri. Im tired/cold/ and wet bc its raining. All i can think is beerzzzz,:confused013: and i have to pull my 06 trans again for new clutch issue.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered a cluster from a company on ebay (apparently it's a junk yard out in Washington) and they found a cluster for my same year, very similar in miles, AT, diesel & speed sensitive locks. We'll see what happens when it comes in the mail and I pop it in.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Interested to see how it works out please post up your results after you plug it in. Good luck!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The cluster came in the other day but I've been out of town. I'll see if I can get around to it tomorrow because I may leave again on Wed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts