Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instead of stacking the PMT or Edge with the MP-8, would there be more of a benefit using 80 HP injectors?

I've been thinking for a while instead of going the cheapest route and using the MP-8, I'd spend the $$$ and get the 80 hp injectors and match it with the Edge or PMT.

What do you guys think?

· Washington Chapter Vice President
5,035 Posts
Being that the MP-8 is only about $360 and Injectors are close to $1000 also 80 HP vs 100 HP of the MP-8 the decision is simple. Plus i believe before you get the full use out of the injectors you will need to address fuel delivery, as in a lift pump (FASS or Airdog)

· Registered
2,285 Posts
Being that the MP-8 is only about $360 and Injectors are close to $1000 also 80 HP vs 100 HP of the MP-8 the decision is simple. Plus i believe before you get the full use out of the injectors you will need to address fuel delivery, as in a lift pump (FASS or Airdog)
:agree2: I would plan on beefing up fuel delivery before installing injectors or stacking. Just my .02

· Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I thought when stacking programmers, the output of one of them was limited?

Also, wouldn't the benefit of the programmers be greatly enchanced if the injectors are allowing more fuel to be delivered (in addition to upgrading the fuel delivery)?

I completely see the benefit of spending $360 vs $1,000+. But I also don't want to leave a lot of power on the table because I can't deliver enough fuel.

My goal is this: build the truck so I can use it as a DD, yet take it to the track and be able to run high 12's (12.99 is fine with me lol). I've read tons of literature, read this (and other) forums daily, and I see about 10 different ways people say to build a diesel. Some say upgrade the electronics first, then intake, exhaust, injectors, turbo and tranny. Others say intake, exhaust and tranny first, then use the power-adders. I'm sure all are good ways, but my needs and wants aren't to turn this into a 11 second truck.

My plan was this:

1) Intake
2) DPF and EGR delete (programmer to clear error codes)
3) Built tranny (Suncoast or ATS - ATS is testing one right now)
4) PMT or Edge (haven't decided yet)
5) 80 hp injectors
6) FASS fuel system
7) Snow Performance Stage 3 kit

The goal is to get rid of the EGR and DPF so I don't go through 3 sets of turbos, keep the programmer on stock to clear error codes, until I can upgrade the transmission. Once that is done, then I'll dump more fuel into it and keep the EGT's under control with the Snow Performance kit.

My guess is with these modifications I'd be in the 500 rwhp range, and at that time may upgrade the intercooler.

I'd probably leave the turbo alone since I don't want to make more than 500 rwhp.

· Smells like Bananas
9,082 Posts

Also, wouldn't the benefit of the programmers be greatly enchanced if the injectors are allowing more fuel to be delivered (in addition to upgrading the fuel delivery)?
if money is not a worry the injectors would be they way to go with the pmt & mp8 stack. But you might have a High EGT problem. dpf and egr will have to addressed for sure.

· Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if money is not a worry the injectors would be they way to go with the pmt & mp8 stack. But you might have a High EGT problem. dpf and egr will have to addressed for sure.
I agree 100%. I updated my previous post so it makes more sense how I plan to build this thing.

The sad thing is, I totaled up how much it will cost to do all this stuff, and I realize how expensive it is to make a diesel fast :$:

· Registered
2,285 Posts
I agree 100%. I updated my previous post so it makes more sense how I plan to build this thing.

The sad thing is, I totaled up how much it will cost to do all this stuff, and I realize how expensive it is to make a diesel fast :$:
Its an expensive addiction :lol3: Ive already spent a ton of money on this rig. I dont beleive i will be stacking boxes off any sort personally as of now. I plan to wait for the higher power tunes from bully dog and then i will upgrade my fuel system, injectors, and some tranny work.

· Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its an expensive addiction :lol3: Ive already spent a ton of money on this rig. I dont beleive i will be stacking boxes off any sort personally as of now. I plan to wait for the higher power tunes from bully dog and then i will upgrade my fuel system, injectors, and some tranny work.
What are your thoughts on getting a fully built auto vs. the rebuild kit? Suncoast offers one, and claims the rebuild kit can handle 500 rwhp. I'm a little skeptical though. I know the price difference between the two is huge, but I'm about doing things right, the first time.

· Washington Chapter Vice President
5,035 Posts
Just make sure you have billet shafts with any tranny upgrade.

Your list/plan for mods seems to be a good list. I would try the FASS before the Injectors though. Bigger Nozzles dont do as much with a shortage of fuel.

· Registered
613 Posts
So with a tranny you would want a beefed up torque converter set up?

I.e. billet shafts, etc?

:$:

· Registered
393 Posts

I completely see the benefit of spending $360 vs $1,000+. But I also don't want to leave a lot of power on the table because I can't deliver enough fuel.

My goal is this: build the truck so I can use it as a DD, yet take it to the track and be able to run high 12's (12.99 is fine with me lol). I've read tons of literature, read this (and other) forums daily, and I see about 10 different ways people say to build a diesel. Some say upgrade the electronics first, then intake, exhaust, injectors, turbo and tranny. Others say intake, exhaust and tranny first, then use the power-adders. I'm sure all are good ways, but my needs and wants aren't to turn this into a 11 second truck.

My plan was this:

1) Intake
2) DPF and EGR delete (programmer to clear error codes)
3) Built tranny (Suncoast or ATS - ATS is testing one right now)
4) PMT or Edge (haven't decided yet)
5) 80 hp injectors
6) FASS fuel system

The goal is to get rid of the EGR and DPF so I don't go through 3 sets of turbos, keep the programmer on stock to clear error codes, until I can upgrade the transmission. Once that is done, then I'll dump more fuel into it and keep the EGT's under control with the Snow Performance kit.

My guess is with these modifications I'd be in the 500 rwhp range, and at that time may upgrade the intercooler.

I'd probably leave the turbo alone since I don't want to make more than 500 rwhp.
Personally if I was to change your list around a little this is what it would look like.....

1) DPF and EGR delete (programmer to clear error codes)
2) Intake
3) PMT or Edge (haven't decided yet)
4) Built tranny (Suncoast or ATS - ATS is testing one right now)
5) FASS fuel system
6) 80 hp injectors

you don't have to worry about the tranny unless you do 4wd boost launches....otherwise everything should be fine....unless you have a manual tranny....i forgot to look at your signature.
Just my $.02

· Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So with a tranny you would want a beefed up torque converter set up?

I.e. billet shafts, etc?

:$:
I'd personally like to wait for ATS to finish testing their built 68RFE. They make some bullet-proof 47 and 48RE's. Billet shafts, valve body, 5 disc torque converter, etc.

I know some people who have just upgraded the torque converter, but it's the shafts I'm worried about.

4wd boosted launches are what give you great 60' times, and in order to do them repeatedly, the tranny needs to upgraded as a unit.

· Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Personally if I was to change your list around a little this is what it would look like.....

1) DPF and EGR delete (programmer to clear error codes)
2) Intake
3) PMT or Edge (haven't decided yet)
4) Built tranny (Suncoast or ATS - ATS is testing one right now)
5) FASS fuel system
6) 80 hp injectors

you don't have to worry about the tranny unless you do 4wd boost launches....otherwise everything should be fine....unless you have a manual tranny....i forgot to look at your signature.
Just my $.02
But 4wd boosted launches are what make these things beasts :)

I've done a few boosted launches in 2wd and the traction is terrible (rightfully so). I did a couple in 4wd and had a grin from ear to ear - especially thinking about doing it with 150 more horsepower lol. That's why I'm placing a lot of emphasis on the transmission, because once you experience the 4wd boosted launch, its all downhill lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.