Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

installing trans temp guage

3106 Views 21 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Smokeeatertk28
i finally got my mag hytec 727d trans pan that i have been waiting on for a while and i have had a dipricol trans temp guage for a while now i want to plug the guage into the trans pan and am not sure how to do this i am mechanically retarded lol anyone want to walk me through the process or is it easier to just take it in and have them do it for me?
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
242 Posts
Most tranny pans come tapped with the 1/8 NPT. Does ur pan have a pre tapped port? if so screw it in to the port. use some teflon tape at the top of the sender unit..... the part thats barely tuching the pan. and have fun. I just did mine with my autometer last night.

Reactions: Travis A

· Registered
262 Posts
i finally got my mag hytec 727d trans pan that i have been waiting on for a while and i have had a dipricol trans temp guage for a while now i want to plug the guage into the trans pan and am not sure how to do this i am mechanically retarded lol anyone want to walk me through the process or is it easier to just take it in and have them do it for me?
Lots of good info here on gauge installs: Gauge Installations at DieselManor- 2003-2007 5.9L Cummins

The MH pan has a 1/8NPT plug on the backside. Remove it. Add liquid thread sealer to your Di-Pricol sender (one thread only) then install into the pan to 25 in-lbs.

Its a one-wire sensor that is routed into the cab to the gauge. The gauge requires IGN, GND and parking lights.

Its pretty simple...in theory, but you have to do the work...

Hope this helps,
Louis

Reactions: Travis A

· Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool. thanks for all the info. I got the tranny installed and it was supposed to come with a deep trans pan, and i took it into another shop so they could throw in the guage and i told them i had a deep trans pan and to use that so i got a phone call that day saying i don't have a deep trans pan installed so i went down and checked it out and there was nothing called up DTT and they said oops and that they would order it in for me (makes me wonder whatelse they forgot to install) so i just got the deep trans pan installed yesterday and they charged me to install it and obviously i wasn't happy about that but it was only $80 and i am not going to fight over $80 so now everything is done except the guage needs to be plugged in, am i going to leak trans fluid everywhere when i do this. i assume i will but i just don't want any surprises

· Registered
242 Posts
well use the two hand method. back the screw out and have the sender in the other hand. pull one out make a quick swap and call it a day. u will leak a few drops out but nuthing much. i didt it when i was cold outside and the fluid got real thick. didnt leak much at all. if u do just add a lil but more atf and ur good. good luck and enjoy

· Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok i got the guage installed and now i need to know what temp it should be running at? i went for a short drive and it got up to just under 140*F and sat pretty steady, at what temps should i get worried? and what it normal?

· Registered
936 Posts
i was asking the same question earlier today. my opinion on it is that the temp in the pan is not very accurate but atleast gives you an idea of how hot the trans is. to me 200 in the pan would be a pretty hot trans. your temp of 140 sounds ok mine runs at about 130 and ive seen it as high as 165 towing. anybody else have some good numbers im all ears

· Registered
498 Posts
200 would be as much as I would want to see in the pan. The factory temp light in the truck reads from the pan and is set at 260 I believe, but to me that is way to warm,
If you are around 200 all the time I would check into more cooling.

· Registered
30 Posts
I just installed my mopar gauge about a month ago with the sender in the pan, and so far the warmest mine has gotten this winter is 125f. Now my old truck (96 1500 46re) with the sender in the cooler supply line, it never ran cooler than 150-160f when fully warmed up.

· Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so whats the point in having the ability to put i n the pan if its not going to give a good reading, if i would have known this i would have gotten it put somewhere else and not payed he $300 for the hytek deep trans pan

· Registered
30 Posts
so whats the point in having the ability to put i n the pan if its not going to give a good reading, if i would have known this i would have gotten it put somewhere else and not payed he $300 for the hytek deep trans pan
I think the key is getting a baseline temperature. Once you establish your normal temperature range, then you will know if your developing a problem, or pushing it too hard towing, when temperatures expectantly start rising.

· Registered
552 Posts
i understand your point, I had the same issue. I saved myself the deep pan and bought a $40 fitting that cuts the hot line coming out of the transmission and takes a reading where the fluid is the hottest. I could give you the numbers I see here but it wouldn't help you much with the sender in the pan since this ends up taking an average temp not an instant temp of what is going on.
If you really want to get a better reading do a search on here for hot line tap. There are lots of options.
1. Dieselmanor sells a line with the fitting already attached. DIESEL MANOR WEBSITE
2. Buy the fitting and install it yourself. All you need is a couple of wrenches and a tubing cutter. Swagelok fitting number is B-810-3-4TTF for Brass or SS-810-3-4-TTF for Stainless steel. This is a street tee with a 1/4"npt fitting. All you need is the 1/4" to 1/8" bushing which comes with autometer gauges and you're good to go. SWAGELOK WEBSITE

· Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
actually it has been working quite well. i just left it in the pan and it might be an average temp but i know kind of whats going on. i learned not to let it sit in park for more then about 3 min or it starts cooking in there and its not a big fan of the trails. temps have gotten up to about 180-190

· Registered
2,438 Posts
installin in the trans line,,is the most accurate readin u will get..i would think if your reading 200 by the pan thats high

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.