Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm adding a new stereo and two amps, what is the best way to run the power wires?

·
Registered
675 Posts
What truck?
What stereo?

·
Registered
993 Posts
If your talking about power wires for the amps I would run them through the firewall the along the edge of the floor under the sill plate or carpet. Thats what I always did in my high school days.

·
Registered
675 Posts
For power wire threw the fire wall there is a rubber grommet on the drivers side that is easy to get through.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's an 06 QC and I am planning on mounting the amps behind the rear seat if possible.

·
Registered
495 Posts
For the 04-06 model trucks and early 07s also...best place for the amp power wires (since they are larger wires) is on the passenger side. You can run them along the rear wall and then under the rear quarter trim panels very easily. Then come under the carpet on the inside of the sill plate harness...this will keep the cables tucked under the edge of the carpet but being on the inside edge of the sill plate, it also keeps them free of feet in and out rubbing on them through the carpet and etc. I have fixed installs before where people just put the wires under the carpet and over time from feet and wear & tear...they rubbed and shorted out...which is why I keep them on the sill plate harness. Factory has em there for a reason...for their wires!!!! We can use em too!!

Reason I stay away from the driver side with the bigger cables is because the driver side is where all the factory wiring is....easier to stay away from!! Depending on the size of the install...I also will pull out the passenger seat and run the wires/cables under there. There is a small channel in the middle to run the RCAs, speaker/remote turn-on wires, etc. If I don't do this, they go up the driver side.

If you need any assistance in any form, wire colors, locations, harness' or anything, feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the 04-06 model trucks and early 07s also...best place for the amp power wires (since they are larger wires) is on the passenger side. You can run them along the rear wall and then under the rear quarter trim panels very easily. Then come under the carpet on the inside of the sill plate harness...this will keep the cables tucked under the edge of the carpet but being on the inside edge of the sill plate, it also keeps them free of feet in and out rubbing on them through the carpet and etc. I have fixed installs before where people just put the wires under the carpet and over time from feet and wear & tear...they rubbed and shorted out...which is why I keep them on the sill plate harness. Factory has em there for a reason...for their wires!!!! We can use em too!!

Reason I stay away from the driver side with the bigger cables is because the driver side is where all the factory wiring is....easier to stay away from!! Depending on the size of the install...I also will pull out the passenger seat and run the wires/cables under there. There is a small channel in the middle to run the RCAs, speaker/remote turn-on wires, etc. If I don't do this, they go up the driver side.

If you need any assistance in any form, wire colors, locations, harness' or anything, feel free to PM me.

Thanks man great info.

·
Registered
495 Posts
im running mine under the truck ... i have to run 0ga for my 2 15 in subs ...

What size amp are you running with?? Thats a awful large wire...hate for you to overdue it. Too big of wire is just as bad or worse than having too small of wire!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
As TxFire indicated, keep your RCA's and your remote wire ran seperate from the power wire. This will keep an extra little bit of noise out of the system.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Install was a pain but it was worth it, it sounds great. I installed Focal 6x9 front and some 5 1/4 in rear. I have a 4 channel kicker 350w amp powering the doors and a 400 class D kicker powering the sub, the sub is in a Joe Fox driver side box. I decided against mountin the amps on the back wall because of the vents and put them under the rear seat and ended up being able to keep my passenger side fold out tray. Getting the wires to the back was strait forward but a pain and the Fat mat I installed on the doors was time consuming but I think it helped with the sound, too bad my truck smells like tar now, I hope it goes away soon. It is not a strong smell but it's there. The hardest part was the deck. I got a Kenwood 2din and a metra install kit and the install kit just didn't have the stuff to mount it, I had to make things to make it work. All in all it looks great and I can crank it all the way up with no distortion. So far Fleetwood Mac sounds the best on there. As far as the fat mat goes it is like Dyna Mat but way less expensive. For $129 I got enough to 4 doors inside the outer door skin and outside the inner skin and have a lot left over. I really recommend the Kicker amp install kits i got them on Ebay and they have all you need and the wires are high quality. I do need to have a shop hook up my Sirius since I ran out of time and was not sure how to do it. Thanks for the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts