Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 96 3500 dually 4x4 doesn't have overload springs in the rear. I'm kinda surprised that it doesn't... Was this an option? Anyway, I'd really like to install them in my truck. What all do I need to do this? The springs themselves, the frame brackets they'll rest against when loaded, longer u bolts... Anything else? What locates the overload spring on top of the normal spring? Anyone know the best place to actually find these things, or do I just start combing the boneyards?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I'd put air bags on it.. that's what my truck has. I would recommend beefing up the brackets before installing them though.

My 94 dually didn't have anything from the factory, so I guess they were an option.. Friend of mine put an extra leaf into his spring pack, been tempted to do the same, but I drive a lot of rough dirt roads and don't want to get jarred to death.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I added a leaf several years ago. It lifted the rear of the truck a good couple inches, but didn't seem to make the ride any worse than it already was. Even with the added leaf, I still need more spring capacity. Bags would be cool, but I just can't bring myself to spend the cash.

·
Registered
19,310 Posts
I have overloads from the factory. They weren't enough so I put on a set of Timbrens. At first they helped, but after awhile they crushed enough that they weren't effective. I wish I had added the air bags much earlier than I did.

·
Registered
88 Posts
There is a little spacer that goes in between the over loads.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I installed airbags on my rollback wrecker for the heavier loads. Huge difference in ride and load handling ability. They are worth every penny if you haul regularly.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a little spacer that goes in between the over loads.
If someone has overloads in their truck, can they please take a pic of this?!?!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts