Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The original batteries I bought with the truck when it was new are finally needing to be replaced.
I sure got my moneys worth out of them for 15 years! I've lined-up some East Penn Manufacturing batteries from NAPA, and I have a question about installation.
When disconnecting the old batteries and reconnecting the new ones, is there any particular order in which they should be disconnected/re-connected such as positive/negative first/last ETC.
Thanks in advance for your advise.

·
Trying to learn
5,461 Posts
:agree2:

Nothing more to add.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The original batteries I bought with the truck when it was new are finally needing to be replaced.
I sure got my moneys worth out of them for 15 years! I've lined-up some East Penn Manufacturing batteries from NAPA, and I have a question about installation.
When disconnecting the old batteries and reconnecting the new ones, is there any particular order in which they should be disconnected/re-connected such as positive/negative first/last ETC.
Thanks in advance for your advise.
Nice!

I got 13 years out of the OEM batteries in a slightly colder clime.

The two Dekka I have now are junk. Picked them up for a steal through an acquaintance that was an Ambulance mechanic. Should have been solid batteries but they are crap. Should have just got Interstates from Costco.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Deka (East Penn) AGM no issues, purchased from their supplier, Autobarn , 5 years now no issues.
Trickle charger if truck sits will help batteries last.
Like mentioned negatives last, make sure negatives are not touching metal when putting on positive.:wink2:
Good time to measure voltages to prove crossover cable good want less then .2 volts difference between batteries.
Then I spray silicon on terminals help with corrosion.
Make sure you put battery shield or equivalent back on especially exhaust side, heat and cold kills batteries!
OEM shield is here
https://www.mymoparpart.com/p/Dodge__Ram-2500/COVER--SHIELD-Battery-Thermoguard/42400832/56028472AC.html?partner=googlebase_adwords&kwd=&origin=pla&partnerDevice=c&userLocation=9003686&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItLq--Mjx5wIVyJ-zCh1yhwI-EAQYAiABEgKifPD_BwE

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Nice!

I got 13 years out of the OEM batteries in a slightly colder clime.

The two Dekka I have now are junk. Picked them up for a steal through an acquaintance that was an Ambulance mechanic. Should have been solid batteries but they are crap. Should have just got Interstates from Costco.

Shame the Dekka batteries let you down . Solid name in the battery industry .
Then again rghavana had the AGM build Dekka and good times .
I have around 300k $$$,$$$ of Dekka East Penn VRLA batteries for my UPS systems at work . ( data center )

Im not sold on Interstate Batterys being ANY better than a walmart / Battery Warehouse battery .

At work the CAT 16clnd 4 turbo 2 starter backup generator has like 8 bulldozer looking batteries , i had an Interstate go really BAD in under two years . It was hot , bubbling on its own with the charger unhooked . lil scary .
Replaced them with CAT branded no maintenance batteries and got severely overbilled . But hey .. they say CAT on them and look NICE . lol.
Batteries for both gens get replaced every 3 years no matter what . Granted the duel 480v block heaters are set at 130* and static battery chargers are set to 27v charge so between the HEAT in the gen enclosure and the hot charging , i believe it shortens the life.
Life in the power hungry data center world .

·
Registered
281 Posts
Shame the Dekka batteries let you down . Solid name in the battery industry .
Then again rghavana had the AGM build Dekka and good times .
I have around 300k $$$,$$$ of Dekka East Penn VRLA batteries for my UPS systems at work . ( data center )

Im not sold on Interstate Batterys being ANY better than a walmart / Battery Warehouse battery .

At work the CAT 16clnd 4 turbo 2 starter backup generator has like 8 bulldozer looking batteries , i had an Interstate go really BAD in under two years . It was hot , bubbling on its own with the charger unhooked . lil scary .
Replaced them with CAT branded no maintenance batteries and got severely overbilled . But hey .. they say CAT on them and look NICE . lol.
Batteries for both gens get replaced every 3 years no matter what . Granted the duel 480v block heaters are set at 130* and static battery chargers are set to 27v charge so between the HEAT in the gen enclosure and the hot charging , i believe it shortens the life.
Life in the power hungry data center world .
I believe it's down to 2 or 3 US and 1 Japanese plant making any dependable batteries. East Penn, Johnson Controls, EnerSys/Yuasa. So many of them are the same under the covers but my understanding is they're all built to a price point by the retailers specifications so durability can vary greatly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you to all for the good advise.
On the East Penn (DEKKA) choice, last year on this very forum I read that these batteries were solid American made batteries, and all who commented said that was the way to go.
Also, I'm not sure how to check for voltage on the crossover cable, can anyone explain this?

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
STANDARD PROCEDURE - TESTING FOR A VOLTAGE DROP
1. Connect the positive lead of the voltmeter to the
side of the circuit closest to the battery.
2. Connect the other lead of the voltmeter to the other
side of the switch, component or circuit.
3. Operate the item.
4. The voltmeter will show the difference in voltage
between the two points.:wink2:

·
Registered
12,191 Posts
I would replace them one at a time, to avoid losing all presets and settings.
But definitely undo the negative cable first.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I would replace them one at a time, to avoid losing all presets and settings.
But definitely undo the negative cable first.
This will leave the crossover cable hot from the other battery. I did mine together
and the memory didn't clear all my radio and clock settings.

·
Registered
12,191 Posts
This will leave the crossover cable hot from the other battery. I did mine together and the memory didn't clear all my radio and clock settings.
Yes, it will, but that's easy enough to be aware of.
Surprised that you didn't lose any settings. I thought they'd be gone.

·
Gearhead
57 Posts
My truck batteries died this morning also ..7 years old..Noticed on the cold start my Grid heater had a very short cycle last week when i drove it last ..did a little poking around to see who makes what so i been using Everstart from Wally world on my motorcycles no issues . So $149 @ only a $12 core each. Johnson Controls makes Duralast (for Autozone,) EverStart, AutoCraft (Advanced Auto’s brand) as well as Diehard and Interstate.

Exide is another of the big guys, they put out batteries under their own Exide brand, as well as under Orbital, Bosch and Marathon.

EnerSys Energy Products is the company behind the Odyssey brand batteries.

East Penn Manufacturing is well known for producing the Deka brand automotive batteries.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts