Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Installing gooseneck

895 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  13MWZ
I will be installing my gooseneck hitch tomorrow (sat). In the instructions it says to measure from the tailgate tward the cab to possition the 4" hole to cut in the bed. The inside of the tail gate has raised and indented portions, do I need to measure from the raised part or the indented part? They say this measurment is critical so i dont wanna mess it up and have to enlarge an already large hole if I'm off by that 1/2" or so.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· CO President
2,621 Posts
It should be from the tailgate edge of the bed not the tailgate itself. You can count the ribs to get it centered left to right, then just measure down that rib and start drilling.

· Premium Member
131 Posts
if its not 2" or more in front of the center of the axel ,,,,,, better re measure,,,, check 3 more times.... --must be in front of axel c/l

· Registered
35 Posts
The difference is only about 1/4", but measure from the "raised" portion, which is actually the part that sits flush with the tailgate jamb. The inside of the tailgate is actually flush with the jamb, not raised, with indented stiffener rolled beads to prevent oil canning.

· Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got her installed today. Thanks for yall's help. I broke the carpender's rule and only measured once, luckly I was right the first time! I was feelin lucky!!!

It started raining before I could get the saftey chain part drilled and mounted, but that can wait a couple days if it has to, dont plan on towing untill Wed.

I also have to re-mount the bracket for the e-brake.

I do have a problem with B&M's mounting, realy the only thing holding it all to the frame is a U bolt on each side and the large bolt going through the frame verticaly in the rear.
There are 2 holes drilled in the side plates but no holes in the frame for them to mount to. It didnt mention them in the directions so figured I'd leave them out for now untill I could find a long enough drill bit to drill through both sides of the frame. The holes in the plate are a little small though, dont think they'd do much good.

I just dont see that thing holding 30k lbs. Are yall's like that too?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.