Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys. I just ordered some Glowshift Gauges finally. I got a 0-60psi boost and a 0-2400 degree egt gauge. Where do i drill and tap for the boost and pyro gauges. I heard that my boost should tap into the intake horn and the egt should tap into the manifold. Where at in the manifold? And should i have the truck running when i drill and tap to keep shavings out of the motor? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Also I would really like to see some picture of where yall's ports are at for the boost and egt fittings, i would just like to see where yall have them tapped in so i can get mine right on the first try and get accurate readings.

Thanks
Vance

· GA CUMMINS CREW PREZ & Captain of the USS FAILBOAT
5,525 Posts
easiest thing to do for the boost is take off the intake horn easy to remove and put back on, do not run the engine while doing this, no need, when you tap the exhaust manifold do it before the turbo, the last three cylinders or the down section right before the turbo will yield the highest and most accurate temps, also dont use grease, that is a common thing but can lead to shavings falling back in, take a wire brush get the rust off the manifold, take a center punch and make a small tap for the drill bit, start small and work your way up one size at a time till desired size, once this is done, tap it, then after that, fire the engine up but dont rev it up, let it run for a few minutes, this way if a few smalls pieces do fall in they will be small enough to pass through the turbo with no problems, then your good to go... :thumbsup:

· Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks that helps me a whole bunch.:thumbsup: I figure i could just pull the intake horn off to do it just wanted to make sure. Is there any certain place:thumbsup: on the horn that i should put it or is it just wherever i like it at? And on the manifold when you say down section you mean where all 6 cylinders come together into the wide piece right before where the turbo bolts up at?

5,525 Posts
Thanks that helps me a whole bunch.:thumbsup: I figure i could just pull the intake horn off to do it just wanted to make sure. Is there any certain place:thumbsup: on the horn that i should put it or is it just wherever i like it at? And on the manifold when you say down section you mean where all 6 cylinders come together into the wide piece right before where the turbo bolts up at?
yep right where they come together, but dont drill directly in the center, do it kinda off to the back side so you dont drill into the divider.. and on the horn most put it right in the center, just drill and tap...

· Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems pretty simple to me. Thanks for the help.

5,525 Posts
anytime.... good luck.... :thumbsup:

· Registered
202 Posts
I don't understand why there is any need to drill and tap the intake. There is an 1/8" pipe plug in the intake right by the P7100 pump facing the drivers side of the truck. All you have to do is remove this and screw the 1/8 compression adapter in this port and hook your gauge to it.

· Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That sounds easier as long as i get an accurate boost reading from that port i will probably just put it there.

· Registered
228 Posts
i have found the easiest way is to get a boost banjo bolt ... you just take an intake bolt out and it screws in and you hook your boost line right to it... i got mine from my parts guy along with everything else... however i have seen them on here before... maybe somebody could chime in with the link to it?

· Registered
106 Posts
Just did this 2 days ago. I just tap the intake runner just after the boot from intercooler.
I did not want plastic hoses for boost gauge running all the way across engine to the port the others are talking bout. As for EGT gauge I drill hole with a magnet, with the drill bit in contact with magnet. The drill bit will become a magnet and most of the filings will stick to it, so don't use grease, also you can drill fast at first but drill slow so when you about to break through so that the filings are much smaller. Then what I did to make sure there was not filings in runner I turned the drill bit upside down, let the magnet stick to the side of bit and the put it down the hole to bottom and wiggle it around so it picks up the fillings that had dropped. All the filings that was picked up was almost "DUST" like so they would not have done damage to turbo if I didn't clean them up. It did really really well. Hope this helps.

· Registered
1,721 Posts
does anyone have actual pics of the boost sending unit installed? i just went out and looked at mine and not sure what the pic above is telling me. im guna try and tackle this project this wknd, i also just bought the glowshift kit.

and also, where do you put the fuel pressure sending unit thats supplied with the glow shift kit?

· Registered
1,721 Posts
perfect. thanks for the vids, do you know anything about their fuel pressure sending unit? and once its in, whats about normal fuel pressure?

· Registered
1,721 Posts
anyone know if the 94-97 STOCK pillar plastic are the same as the 98-02, i want a donar piller to cut up and mount thr triple to

· Premium Member
12,495 Posts
whats about normal fuel pressure?
17-22 psi at idle, 25-35 at 2500 rpm no load. The pressure shouldn't ever drop below 25 psi under load.

A 30 psi gauge is too small, a 100 psi too big, 60 psi is perfect.
A mechanical gauge is far better than a electric.

· Registered
82 Posts
If your gonna install an EGT probe with everything still on the truck, leave it idling so it blows out some of the shavings as well

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.