Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Installing car alarm/ keyless entry?!?!?!?

3462 Views 42 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  JoeCanuck
Hey,

Well I'm thinking about adding a car alarm/ keyless entry on my rig sometime soon to help getting in the truck and maybe keep it a little safer!:drool2:

This is what I'm thinking about:

Viper Responder 350 2-Way Car Alarm Pager NEW FOR 2009 - eBay (item 110468155602 end time Feb-07-10 08:49:34 PST)

Maybe not from this dealer, but a similar kit!:S:

Does anyone have any tips/ experience on installing one??? :confused013:

How do you hook up the system to pop the locks on the truck??:confused013::confused013:

Thanks,
Winslow
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
963 Posts
It might not be worth the hassle. I paid 200bucks out the door for my remote start with keyless entry (the previous owner did not give me any remotes) pretty cheap.Yes my remote start has the wait to start its a CODE ALARM brand. I also have the capability to start the truck from a cell phone.

· Kansas Chapter VP
Big Red. 1993 W350. NV 4500. HX35.
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It might not be worth the hassle. I paid 200bucks out the door for my remote start with keyless entry (the previous owner did not give me any remotes) pretty cheap.Yes my remote start has the wait to start its a CODE ALARM brand. I also have the capability to start the truck from a cell phone.
Hey,

Why wouldn't it be worth the hassle???:confused013:

I don't want/need remote start as the truck is a stick!!!!:peelout

Thanks,
Winslow

· Registered
9,117 Posts
winz... my bro just had a auto page alarm system installed and purchased on his 2005 for ~250 bucks... It tells him when people jack with the truck, whether is locked/unlocked, and lots of other cool features... I will get the model number for ya to check out if your interested

Josh

· Kansas Chapter VP
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
winz... my bro just had a auto page alarm system installed and purchased on his 2005 for ~250 bucks... It tells him when people jack with the truck, whether is locked/unlocked, and lots of other cool features... I will get the model number for ya to check out if your interested

Josh
Hey,

Yeah I'm interested in the part number!!!!:party018:

Do you happen to know how they tap in to get the doors to unlock??:confused013:

Thanks,
Winslow

· Registered
9,117 Posts
Hey,

Yeah I'm interested in the part number!!!!:party018:

Do you happen to know how they tap in to get the doors to unlock??:confused013:

Thanks,
Winslow
Cool when he gets in tonight I will get the part number from him and post it for ya I am not quite sure what wire they tap into but I bet there is something in the instructions.:confused013:

· Kansas Chapter VP
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool when he gets in tonight I will get the part number from him and post it for ya I am not quite sure what wire they tap into but I bet there is something in the instructions.:confused013:
Hey,

Cool deal, I bet the instructions say something I'm just curious so I can install it in my head!!!!!!:shock::hehe:

Do you happen to know about how big the key fob is??:confused013:

Thanks,
Winslow

· Ontario Chapter VP
809 Posts
Hey,

Why wouldn't it be worth the hassle???:confused013:

I don't want/need remote start as the truck is a stick!!!!:peelout

Thanks,
Winslow

Ask someone who has one to see their system, check out all the wires. Id definately just get it done by a shop.

I have a viper, but not the two way remote. I love it.

Corey

· Kansas Chapter VP
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ask someone who has one to see their system, check out all the wires. Id definately just get it done by a shop.

I have a viper, but not the two way remote. I love it.

Corey
Hey,

That's handy, but I'm kinda a Do It Yourselfer and I don't trust shops very well...:shock::S:

Does your Viper have keyless entry??:confused013:

Later,
Winslow

· Ontario Chapter VP
809 Posts
Hey,

That's handy, but I'm kinda a Do It Yourselfer and I don't trust shops very well...:shock::S:

Does your Viper have keyless entry??:confused013:

Later,
Winslow
Winslow,

I hear you there, i'm the same way. I love being able to do things myself, learning and of course saving the money. However, there are a few things i wont go near.
1. Transmission
2. The disaster of wiring that is my viper system.

Mine is a keyless entry, remote start and alarm system in one. It has a turbo timer, some thing where i can program it to say start once every 8 hours, run for 15 minutes and shut back off, plus a bunch of other stuff i dont understand/need. It has a lifetime warranty with it also, so make sure that you aren't forced to have it installed by a factory authorized shop to get the warranty. If you do it yourself, be sure to take some pics and share them with us! Anything else i can help you with, let me know. :thumbsup:

Corey

· Ontario Chapter VP
809 Posts
Viper - Viper 5601 1-Way SuperCode Security and Remote Start System

I think thats the newer version of mine. Forgot about some of the options until i read that. If the alarm is set off, truck will not start with the key until alarm is deactivated. With remote start, if you turn the key to start, will not grind the starter. Also, if the rpms go up too high, it shuts down. :party018:

· Kansas Chapter VP
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Winslow,

I hear you there, i'm the same way. I love being able to do things myself, learning and of course saving the money. However, there are a few things i wont go near.
1. Transmission
2. The disaster of wiring that is my viper system.

Mine is a keyless entry, remote start and alarm system in one. It has a turbo timer, some thing where i can program it to say start once every 8 hours, run for 15 minutes and shut back off, plus a bunch of other stuff i dont understand/need. It has a lifetime warranty with it also, so make sure that you aren't forced to have it installed by a factory authorized shop to get the warranty. If you do it yourself, be sure to take some pics and share them with us! Anything else i can help you with, let me know. :thumbsup:

Corey
Viper - Viper 5601 1-Way SuperCode Security and Remote Start System

I think thats the newer version of mine. Forgot about some of the options until i read that. If the alarm is set off, truck will not start with the key until alarm is deactivated. With remote start, if you turn the key to start, will not grind the starter. Also, if the rpms go up too high, it shuts down. :party018:
Hey,

I understand what you mean about wiring!!!!!:S:

That's a really cool system with A LOT of stuff on it!! The remote start for me would almost be useless b/c mine is a stick and I don't like the idea of leaving it in neutral (or afraid I would forget too!!!!:shock:), but would be very handy!!!!:thumbsup:

I'll have to check about the warranty deal and I might check and see what a shop would charge!! And oh yeah I would do a full write up if I installed it myself!!!!!:thumbsup:

Ruido you get a part number yet??????:confused013::confused013:

Thanks,
Winslow

· Kansas Chapter VP
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey,

Also ruido how big is the key fob?????:confused013::confused013:

Thanks,
Winslow

· Registered
51 Posts
I install Viper alarm systems just like the one shown above, and they are top of the line system, and no customers have regrets after install. I have one, and i love it

· Kansas Chapter VP
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I install Viper alarm systems just like the one shown above, and they are top of the line system, and no customers have regrets after install. I have one, and i love it
Hey,

I understand you don't want to give away any install tips but it would be much appreciated if you did!!!!!:worthy:

Could you tell me how big the key fobs are at least??:confused013:

Thanks,
Winslow

· Registered
51 Posts
No problem buddy. 2 1/2'' tall by 2'' wide roughly

· Kansas Chapter VP
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey,

Thanks!!:party018:

Would you mind sharing how the alarm taps into the door locks?? That's my main question!!:confused013:

Thanks,
Winslow

· Registered
2,164 Posts
Hey Winslow, i got one of those vipers for my ex-fiance. from some of your write-ups, ive seen you can handle some wiring. i SUCK at it. but it can be done.... when you open the box (its small) BRACE YOURSELF there is a $HIT T0N of wires!, its mind boggelin. it might take awhile, but try not to cut corners and follow the instructions carefully. keep the beers to a minimum! :hehe: and the remotes about 3"x1.5" or so... GOOD LUCK, youll need it!
JeffreyDale :thumbsup:

· Registered
2,164 Posts
oh, and i just realized your not getting the remote start? if not, thats a lot less wires... if your only doing the alarm/locks, that just a few wires...( control box, motion box, siren, and a few taps for door locks, and what not) you should be able to do it in about 2 hours :thumbsup:

· Kansas Chapter VP
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Winslow, i got one of those vipers for my ex-fiance. from some of your write-ups, ive seen you can handle some wiring. i SUCK at it. but it can be done.... when you open the box (its small) BRACE YOURSELF there is a $HIT T0N of wires!, its mind boggelin. it might take awhile, but try not to cut corners and follow the instructions carefully. keep the beers to a minimum! :hehe: and the remotes about 3"x1.5" or so... GOOD LUCK, youll need it!
JeffreyDale :thumbsup:
Hey,

Thanks man for the confidence in me!!!!:yourock:

I just can't get it in my mind of how it signals the door locks?? Other than that I think I can figure it out!!!!! Or at least I'll always think I could!!!:hehe:

Later,
Winslow

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.