Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Installing Bilstein shocks

12K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxBarney 
#1 ·
Picking up new truck next month and was thinking of putting Bilstein shocks on it.

Was quoted over $700.00 for because:

"the rears go in, in 20-30 minutes...the front gets a
little more intense. It takes 1 1/2 to 2 hours as you have to drop the axle and is a lot more complicated"

Does that sound right?

I found 5100s for $79. each, I can't imagine $400. for installing shocks.

#2 ·
03 front shocks

Don't know the year of your truck, but I just put front shocks in my 03. Not hard to do at all...it has towers on top that are held on with three bolts.. took batteries out and lifted everything out the top...no problem.

#4 ·
PS: Leave the battery box in on the drivers side... had a lot of other crap attached to it...just take the battery out to gain access to the tower..hope this helps.

#7 ·
You don't have to take out either one of the batteries. All you need is a few extensions and a swivel joint for your ratchet. One hour tops to do both-I did. A ratheting wrench is handy too to spin the top nut while you hold the shock stud with a socket.

#8 ·
If the factory shocks are Bilsteins (which only the PW has stock) then Bilstein has really gone down hill. I could easily compress the factory shocks with my hands when I took them off.

I've never done the fronts the way it's described above, but if you don't have access to a lift that's probably the easiest.

#9 ·
I threw some on my '07.5. Took about 30 minutes in my driveway.

Rears are cake. When removing the upper bolts, only put a wrench or ratchet on bolt head - the nuts have a capture tang on them so they won't spin.

On the front, it's easier to jack up the truck a bit from the frame so the axle drops out a little. That way you don't have to compress the new shocks and the old ones come out easier. Don't have to remove any batteries, etc. You can get to all the tower nuts with a socket and extension from the engine bay and/or a wrench from the wheel well.

That quoted price is insane. For that much in labor they should be installing a complete suspension system and performing an alignment. Find a different shop or buy some tools and do it yourself.

#11 ·
it takes about 30 mintues to do each on the front axle. You do not have to drop the front axle. those people have no idea what they are talking about. You dont have to remove anything other than the shock tower. You use a floor jack under the frame to lift the truck until the suspension is relaxed. then you can unbolt the bottom bolt from the shock and the three nuts from the shock tower, along with the top nut on the shock. you remove all of it and drop the new shock in without having to compress anything. it will all fall into place.

I would not use bilstein 5100, they are junk. i had one go bad with in four months on the front.

#15 · (Edited)
That's the best way to do it and save yourself some $$$.

I wouldnt call the 5100s junk. They are better than pretty much all the lift company shocks out there and come with a lifetime warranty. Just get it replaced.

I've run 5100s on my superduty for 7 years and they're still holding strong. The only time i've seen them not hold up is offroading too hard where they can overheat pretty quick. For that your better off with a 2.0 ressi shock or better yet a 2.5'' or 3.0'' depending on the use and budget.

#12 ·
mattpop - your sig still lists Bilstein 5100. What are you running now and how do you like them?

#16 ·
You dont need to take shock towers completley out just move them to the side and lift shock out and like what was stated before just raise your frame to attach everything when new shock is installed

JIM

Reactions: Skyd Ram
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.