Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was wondering if there were any pointers on installing the kit. Going to be replacing my fuel sending unit and figured now would be the best time to install this. didn't want to be installin the kit and hit a hard spot and waste time on tryin to figure it out when someone on here could tell me a way that would be alot easier or something. but anyways any help/tips would be helpful as this is the first time installing a kit like this
once again thanks!
justin

· Registered
61 Posts
i just have to say take your time the instructions are pretty straight foward good luck its easy just takes time

· Registered
687 Posts
Long or short bed? It makes a big difference! Look here if it's a QC/SB. Check later pages for mounting info.

· Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Probably the call we get the most when installing the AirDog is "This thing has no pressure". Make sure you route your return line to the tank and not to the engine. We get so many people call mad mad mad!! This p.o.s. and on and on. "Sir are you sure you have your lines routed correctly". Of course the answer is yes. I tell them to double check for me real quick. And usually dont hear back from them. Read through them and take your time. You should have no problems at all. If you do, feel free to give me a call. I would be glad to help.

· Registered
41 Posts
The only "difficult" spot I hit was actually mounting the pump assembly. Just take you time & find a good secure spot.

I also had to loosen the filter & fitting by the pump to get it to prime the first time.

the stock fittings were a bit tough to remove with the tank in place, but dropping the tank will help you there.

· Registered
608 Posts
I would suggest that when you do the draw straw, you may want to drop the tank to drill the hole in the location that you want it. Then put the tank back in place, unbolt the bed bolts on the tank side and then just loosen the other side of the bed. I used a jeck and jeacked up the bed in a tilt manner. Then meausre your tube and cut from there. The reason I say this is, I cut mine too short while it was on the ground, big mistake on my part. So I had to change it up and by tilting the bed it gave me a true length that I needed to cut. Just take your time and do the extra work, it will be worth it in the long run. Good luck and have fun with it.

· Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alright thanks guys, i may be back for some more questions. were takin the bed off as i'm having to replace the sending unit anyways so just to make it some easier i'm taking it completely off and have better acess to it. anybody else has anything to add, feel free to post it! i need all the help i can lol
thanks again for the help! and thanks 2Tone12V, i hope i don't have to call you, but never know lol thanks for the service!
-justin

· Registered
687 Posts
Removing the bed is the way to go, and it's not as hard as you might think. :thumbsup:

· Premium Member
75 Posts
Removing the bed is definitely the easiest way to access the tank. I've put many fuel pumps in gassers and unless there was literally a ton of crap in the bed, I would go that route. One trick I learned on dodges is you can unbolt the bed and slide it back slightly, then use a jack and a board and lift the front of the bed up and work under it.:thumbsup:

· Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Obviously, we only drop the tanks as it's easier on the lift. So pick a method that works for you.

You might consider upgrading to a DS1 if you have an older module and a DSV if you have an in tank module. No fuel slosh issues with these. I would also recommend upgrading the line as well, but that's just me.

Hook up your electrical connections in the engine compartment first, dropping the long connector where it will be away from the steering, but run along the factory lines. At the same time, hook up the VP adapter, barbed fitting and hose. Also drop with the wiring. Drag loose ends towards tank end, going over cross members and or skid plates.

Drop the tank or whatever. Get the hoses mounted to the tank before you cut any hose!!

Mount the lift pump. Only now can you cut the hoses long. Install fittings after hoses are cut to length and routed properly.

Hook up the wiring harness.

Start from the front, zip tie the hose and wiring harness to the original lines. When you get to the rear and you have a large loop of wiring, make a loop, zip tie one end flat. Opposite of that, zip tie flat again. Put excess in frame rail towards cab.

Bleed system and enjoy!

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.