Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a rebuilt injector pump from a "reputable" Bosch certified company. It cost $900. A month later, I'm getting diesel fuel all on the left side of my truck. Battery cable, fender well, AC condensor lines, around timing cover, etc. I even get it in front of the grille and I get a puddle of fuel on the left side of the radiator. The fuel filter, and fuel filter drain plug is dry. I felt on the bottom of the injector and am finding some fuel down there.

Is there anything else it could be? Like something the fuel could be going into ? The lift pump is also dry. I'm just wondering if there's somethign else, aside from lift pump, fuel filter, fuel drain valve, fuel pre heater, that it could be, since this injector pump is a rebuilt unit!

·
Super Moderator
23,308 Posts
Fuel on the bottom of the IP could be coming from above also. You need to dry the pump off and see where it's leaking.

There is a fuel line behind the IP from the filter that has a connector in the middle of it, it has been known to leak.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Fuel on the bottom of the IP could be coming from above also. You need to dry the pump off and see where it's leaking.

There is a fuel line behind the IP from the filter that has a connector in the middle of it, it has been known to leak.
That's a good suggestion...hadn't thought of that one!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It likes to pool down next to the radiator, below the battery, and leak up front more than anything. It is fuel, it's not antifreeze. This is a tough one. I'm not really finding anything wet. I'll keep looking though! I had to replace the injection pump because the old one leaked so bad it wouldn't start one day, just don't want that to happen again, let alone the fact it's a fire hazard.

SO if anyone ever tracked down a leak that caused fuel to pool around the side of the radiator below the battery, let me know what you found that was leaking!

·
Super Moderator
23,308 Posts
If it's getting below the battery sounds like a high pressure leak, check your fuel injector lines at the IP.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was way off. It's actually a transmission cooler/line leak. Low transmission fluid level confirms it (I noticed it was slipping a little lately too so it hasn't always been low). I just have to figure out if it's the lines or the cooler itself.... I'd be surprised it was the cooler?

The injection pump is from Oregon Fuel Injection. The thing runs flawlessly and even idle speed was close. It was about 20 RPM lower than spec the way it came from them.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Well that's a bit better....Glad you got it figured out...leak wise that is.;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
One way to see if it's tranny fluid is to use a piece of white, red shows up better, providing the fluid isn't too burned which if so you have bigger problems.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was definitely the transmission cooler lines. One of them was even loose. The lines are part rubber and part metal. I went to the junkyard and even saw a few D250's but the cooler lines went into the radiator. There was no separate external cooler. The lines were thinner. The external cooler seems like a diesel thing. I put rubber hoses on there now but am trying to figure out if I want to have some duplicates of the original made up. Dodge no longer offers them and I don't see any aftermarket. I don't think it's hurting too much the way it is, but if I throw these away, I doubt I'll ever find any to match up/copy again. Hopefully it won't cost too much for a hose shop to copy or fix these.

·
Super Moderator
23,308 Posts
If you double clamp the hoses on each end you should be ok.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Yes the cooler lines for the Auto tranny in a diesel are HUGE. Thing they are at least 7/16 if not 1/2". Keep your eye on ebay...I've seen these pop up from time to time.

Or post up a "Wanted" ad in the classifieds. Plenty of guys swapping out their auto to a 5speed...should be a fairly easy part to score off one of them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts