Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to installing a hughes performance 15lxfm torque converter. Install was just like any other tc, went fairly smoothe except I am use to working with a 2wd 5 speed so this was a lot heavier than that transmission. any way. My mods are basically intake, 5" exhaust, and Edge comp. First I pulled the tranny and was just planning on doin the tc but quickly learned that the tranny fluid was almost black so I emptied the whole system as much as I could (~17 quarts) and put fresh fluid in. it took me about 5 hours due to working on the ground and not with a lift, I also used an atv jack and a regular floor jack as i dont have a trans jack.

I was going to wait to do the tranny fluid until I got my shift kit but i couldnt justify running that crap through my new tc. so I turned the pressure up slightly, (1 turn) the tc was freshly built when I ordered it from summitt. Hughes contacted me directly to make sure it is what I want. Also informing me that summitts description is wrong and this is not a tripple disk converter. but my power goals are not huge so I stuck with it.

Driving impressions are great, the stall is much lower than what was in the tranny before but my previous converter was either a converter with a higher stall than stock or it was worn out.

I get in the truck and put her in reverse....the rear end grabs and sinks down. let off the brake and shes rolling I tap the throttle and...chirp, seems to works well then took her around the block, with the new 305/70/16 xterrains it has a much bigger foot print than before. roll on the throttle, and break the tires loose. the only way i was doing that before was if I was turning.

My overall experience so far is a+ and my power goals are only 350-400 hp and the guy at hughes said this clutch would hold well over 1000 ft lbs of torque. so if your power goals arent huge i think so far that this tc is well worth the $489 i paid for it.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
update: Ok after really getting to drive the truck hard and push it a bit for over 100 miles I can say this is a great bang for your buck mod for thos of you just looking to tow heavy and add a bit of performance such as edge comp and standard exh, and intake maybe even some small injectors like 40-75 horse maybe more. the truck is a totally different truck than before the install. the truck just likes to go now!

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is looking like a great converter for me. I am in the same boat as you not wanting a race truck just a better converter. After running if for a while now do you have any complaints or are you still pleased with it? Is there anything that you found out that you don't like after driving it for a while?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts