Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone so I put a cat turbo in my 2012 and I can only get 3 lbs of boost max with no audible or visual leaks to the cac system ..I have an H&S mini maxx fully deleted truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
So a cat? Like Caterpillar? Do you have any idea what size or specs it is?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really but it is a 72 mm and has a ar 137 housing and came from a 3304 cat engine

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Not really but it is a 72 mm and has a ar 137 housing and came from a 3304 cat engine

Stock fuel?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have my chip on performance the icp is getting up to 22 Ksi on the tuner gauge

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s just constantly rolling coal it seems and is easily getting hot temps as far as coolant goes

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I’m not surprised you’re running low boost. A 72 is massive for stock fuel when running a 137 housing. If you wanted to run a 72 on stock fuel you’d have to be significantly lower on the housing, much closer to 1. Even then the truck would be a dog for the most part. Without any boost these trucks smoke as they’re getting almost no air. Why did you decide to put such a large turbo on a stock truck?

·
Registered
6,221 Posts
Reactions: Aburdett

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry guys have my kid this weekend .. basically I got the turbo for 500 bucks off a guy cuz I couldn’t afford a new one and this is what I get I guess .. so you’re saying I’ll never build boost with this turbo? I haven’t tuned for it yet because I don’t know how or where to start any help would be great

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
If you’re going to run a large turbo you need to run large injectors and proper tuning. Even if a MM says +200 HP I’ve never seen the proof behind that and it’s still not tuned to a large turbo

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just trying to replace the broken factory turbo yes but had limited funds and found this paperweight apparently lol

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So can anyone maybe enlighten me on what would happen if the stock turbo was unplugged and had no speed sensor .. would it leave the throttle body closed as to not try and build boost as a fail safe ? This is just a theory because like I said I have not tuned it in any way besides the mm tunes that come with it I basically installed and left unplugged the Stock wiring

·
Registered
59 Posts
The throttle valve is only for the EGR system diesels don’t open and close a butterfly to control RPM in a throttle body like a gasser. If you are fully deleted you shouldn’t even have the valve anymore.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
The throttle valve is only for the EGR system diesels don’t open and close a butterfly to control RPM in a throttle body like a gasser. If you are fully deleted you shouldn’t even have the valve anymore.
Not quite true. A full delete does not include the throttle valve as it is an optional delete. Most guys don’t even touch the throttle valve as the $100 to remove it is not worth the money or time.

As far as removing the plugs and wiring goes... I don’t see that working. I don’t know how the turbo broke but by removing the turbo, it will remain in the current (and presumed broken) state. The only way to fix a broken turbo is to fix the actuator or replace the turbo. Unless the OP has different parts breaking then it’s a different story.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not quite true. A full delete does not include the throttle valve as it is an optional delete. Most guys don’t even touch the throttle valve as the $100 to remove it is not worth the money or time.

As far as removing the plugs and wiring goes... I don’t see that working. I don’t know how the turbo broke but by removing the turbo, it will remain in the current (and presumed broken) state. The only way to fix a broken turbo is to fix the actuator or replace the turbo. Unless the OP has different parts breaking then it’s a different story.

Sorry stuff got lost in text there by shouldn’t have it I wasn’t implying his is probably gone I mean It shouldn’t be there anymore cause it serves no purpose same as leaving an EGR unplugged you might as well remove it completely
OP put a fixed geometry turbo and was asking if leaving the plugs hanging from the old broken VGT turbo could cause the throttle valve to close.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea sorry I should have elaborated a bit better in that last post ... I bought the truck deleted so no DPF no E G R and I did replace the factory turbo which was broken with a larger non vgt turbo .. the truck also hosts a s&B cold air intake and has a blade runner AFE intake manifold .. 4” turbo back exhaust and a H&S MM trans unlocked .. running the mild w/turbo tune usually in the performance range. Unless I’m towing I will use the tow tune

1 - 20 of 46 Posts