Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Figured I'd gather and post this all as one.

So I started off wanting to add a center console from a 4th gen into a 3rd. It's been documented that it's pretty easy to swap, you just need to swap the top console portion as the mounting points are all the same.

I received the console on Friday and got it swapped in: Looks good...but I didn't like the fact that I lost my USB/Cigarette power because the newer gens have and Aux, a USB, and cigarette power. And a massive bundle of wires. Where the 3rd center center console (Laramie) have....2 wires.

Original installed:

Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Car seat cover Automotive design

Saturday, some new stuff came in for it. A black leather cover to match the Laramie seats and a dual USBB/cigarette port that I took a gamble on Amazon to see if it would work:

Output device White Peripheral Light Product

I removed the console lid to recover (see linked thread if you're interested):

Recovering a 4th Gen Console Lid

Once that was done, I went to town on tearing apart the center console so I could get the tray portion out since I had to remove the old ports and modify the opening, and install the new ports.

If you want to do this, follow this video. It's a set of 3 vids, but the first 2 are all you need. Guy makes it look a bit harder than it really is...:

Once all that goodness was freed up, I clipped the ends off the backside of the original cigarette wiring since I was going to be using it. I fished the 2016 bundle of wires (be careful and watch how the wiring is routed for when you put it back) down to the floor and unplugged the OEM connecter (which I had already connected to the 2 wires of the 2016 cigarette power).

Stripped all the OEM tape off the wires and got rid of all the wiring I didn't need.

Modified the opening to fit the Amazon ports, daisy chained them together, re-routed my new harness (new protective Tesa tape) back up to the console. That little aluminum piece That's epoxied in I needed so I could mount that side, since there wasn't enough plastic. The opposite side I went right into the plastic, but it's VERY close to the edge of my modification so I'll have to be careful. If for some reason those fail, I'll just do the same thing to the other side. But it shouldn't be coming out very much unless there's an issue:

Computer hardware Gas Electrical wiring Motor vehicle Cable

Here's the final result:

Camera accessory Camera lens Point-and-shoot camera Digital camera Motor vehicle

Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Gear shift Motor vehicle

Camera lens Digital camera Gadget Reflex camera Camera accessory

I ran into one issue. So with our trucks, this power source is always hot. In the Amazon description it said that these can turn on/off which is cool. But that only applies to the USB one. It has a little power symbol on the right, you just tap that and it turns the LED/unit on/off. But that doesn't apply for the cigarette power one, which has able LED that would be lit up all the time. So for now I unplugged it.

The blue doesn't match anything I have going on either, so I figured I'd try to find a couple of green USB ports that have the on/off function. There are other cigarette power adapters in the truck anyway (well, one left in this truck).I ordered a couple of these:

Camera accessory Gadget Output device Font Camera lens

Here's the center console re-installed, again:

Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Automotive design

Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car

Definitely digging the 4th gen console. I think it nicely upgraded the interior.
My Laramie 3rd gen console was in great shape, this is just something I had been wanting to do for a long while now. I did have the Geno's cupholders on my old console as well. These give a bit more clearance.

You do though, lose a bit of storage space, but I have the jumper seat storage so no biggie. Happy how this mod went!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looks nice

I’ve been thinking big time about doing a console. I just got my st so I’ve got nothing. Did you say that you only had to swap the upper not the seat base? Ive got to figure somthing out. I need the storage and the cup holders at hand.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks nice

I’ve been thinking big time about doing a console. I just got my st so I’ve got nothing. Did you say that you only had to swap the upper not the seat base? Ive got to figure somthing out. I need the storage and the cup holders at hand.
Correct you do not have to swap the seat base.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gonna fill in the bottom storage (under seat) with a pistol safe?
Yeah I've had the safe under the jump seat now for a few years! Love that thing

• Love
Reactions: s10010001

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
great job on that console btw! You got me jones’in now.
Thanks for the compliment! Happy with how it turned out. Now if could find a Laramie back seat ...

·
Super Duper Mod
I know nothing.🙄
2,691 Posts
Thanks for the compliment! Happy with how it turned out. Now if could find a Laramie back seat ...
You could do what I did and go with 4th gen seats.

The back seat would have to be pulled from a 4th Gen quad cab. People install the crew cab seat, but it doesn’t fit right.

Reactions: dirt_cheap

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You could do what I did and go with 4th gen seats.

The back seat would have to be pulled from a 4th Gen quad cab. People install the crew cab seat, but it doesn’t fit right.
Yeah that's an option. I don't mind my 3rd gen ones, would be nice to find a Laramie matching for the back. PO put Laramie up front and left the cloth in back.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got rid of the blue (and the cig outlet) and in with the green.

Green Light Vehicle Motor vehicle Plant

I can now switch off power to both.

I also drilled a small hole in the rubber cover so I can see if they're still on. Since they are touch activated on/off, it turned on one when I put the cover on. This way I can just quickly verify so it's not a parasitic drain

1 - 10 of 10 Posts