Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
if you pull the trans i can swap the input in about 30 min if nothing is bad.

i built my entire trans from pulling out to installed driving 7.5 hrs

· Registered
345 Posts
2.5 to pull the trans and 2.5 to put it in is a long time especially if you have a lift. We can pull a trans. in 30 minutes and have the whole thing disassemled in an 30 minutes as well. Draining the fluid takes nearly as long as pulling the trans. 2.5hrs seems like a shops flag time such as diamler chrystler mechanics being able to flag 2.5hr labor on a job that they can do in 30 min and collect pay for another 2 hours.

· Premium Member
5,727 Posts
It's not always that easy.... you have to remove the front pump, if you want a 100% success rate you should plan on replacing seals. this adds to the cost but will eliminate the need for a repair in the future.

When shopping for shafts, don't just buy the cheapest billet input you can. The one piece shafts are a compromise in my opinion. OEM uses 2 piece design and so should you. if your gonna spend 600 to save your shorts, go the distance and spend a little more to get the Good Stuff.

· Go for Broke
5,767 Posts
The one piece shafts are a compromise in my opinion. OEM uses 2 piece design and so should you. if your gonna spend 600 to save your shorts, go the distance and spend a little more to get the Good Stuff.
so you think the 2 piece is stronger then a 1 piece???

· Go for Broke
5,767 Posts

· Premium Member
5,727 Posts
IMO 1 piece or 2 piece doesn't matter other then who and what the shaft is make from and the precess they used :thumbsup
Good Point, except when you look at an input shaft from front to tail you see 2 distinct different pieces.

The shaft which transfers power from the converter and the Gear which drives your front clutch pack.

the Head of the shaft acts as a gear, and does not deflect much if any, the Shaft whether billet or stock twists and rebounds as power is directed through it. Lock up converters twist this shaft even more, so it is necessary to use a meltal that is extremely resilient that takes a good twist and won't break but also rebounds.

The gear end on the other hand is not needed to twist, in fact if it does it could bind up the clutch packs.

Having two very specific materials is best, and this is why I believe that a two pc. shaft is better than one.

There are also many two piece shafts on the market, so finding the one that uses the right combination is better than just getting a look alike.

· Gone Fishing!!
2,398 Posts
When shopping for shafts, don't just buy the cheapest billet input you can. The one piece shafts are a compromise in my opinion. OEM uses 2 piece design and so should you. if your gonna spend 600 to save your shorts, go the distance and spend a little more to get the Good Stuff.
Not trying to start anything but you think the IE shafts 2 piece (opie) is stronger than a sonnax one piece? Just because Dodge used a 2 piece does not in anyway mean it's stronger or better. The one piece sonnax has been proven to me to hold up longer and by DTT. :thumbsup I have yet to see a one piece sonnax input shaft broken also... But just my 0.02 and build them for a living on the side....

· Premium Member
5,727 Posts
I think Opie's stuff is top notch, and yes I think they are better than Sonnax. Just my 0.02, that's kinda why I worded my statement the way I did. Why don't you go beyond the I think and DTT proved and tell us what your really thinking, you might make a believer out of me.

· Gone Fishing!!
2,398 Posts
I think Opie's stuff is top notch, and yes I think they are better than Sonnax. Just my 0.02, that's kinda why I worded my statement the way I did. Why don't you go beyond the I think and DTT proved and tell us what your really thinking, you might make a believer out of me.
It's not what I think and I really don't think I can change your mind no matter what I know. I build them for a living on the side. I will not let this get into a peeing match here on the forum. People know me here and know what I build and how it holds up. I know of a few people that have broken a IE opie shaft (me for one) and will never run them again. I Replaced with a sonnax and no more concerns or broken shafts. Your defection you talk about comes by of way the intermediate shaft also, I see that S. Kondolay DTT is on board here and know first hand why we will not run them anymore. I know Dave and DTT uses sonnax shafts and a few other's big trans builders also, so it's what I know and not what I think for the last 15 years on them:thumbsup But run what you like and thats fine but I know what I like and will run from now on.

· Premium Member
5,727 Posts
OK Charles.

I don't run Opie Shafts either, but you assumed I was speaking of them. You talk the talk all you want, but tell me something other than I have references and all these know it alls use them. That would be doing the thread justice.

You are peeing in the thread, not me. I offered my opinion and tried to back it up with my reasoning, you are looking for an opportunity to dominate someone, and talk trash with no supporting info.

How bout some facts. Why Not Support the thread?

I'm not gonna argue with you either, so why don't you take a breath and tell us why the Single piece 300M shaft is better than a 2 piece shaft made with 300 mirage and a 4140 Gear.

· Registered
593 Posts
What I want to see is that 30 min from parking lot to the trans on the floor. That right there is funny....I dont care who you are.

When thats all done, I want to see the 30 min from bench to parking lot.

And I dont mean cary the trans from a parking lot to the bench... I mean pull the truck in, lift it, gather tools, drain it, pull shafts, unplug electronics, remove cross member, remove T-Case, bellhousing bolts, TQ convertor bolts, remove trans and set on bench. 30 min? Thats a joke! Maybe with 4 guys who have removed this trans every other day for the last week and work in a team... but no normal shop with one man under a lift can even dream of this, and 2 men would still take 1.25-1.5 hours or more each way.

· Premium Member
5,727 Posts
What I want to see is that 30 min from parking lot to the trans on the floor. That right there is funny....I dont care who you are.

When thats all done, I want to see the 30 min from bench to parking lot.

And I dont mean cary the trans from a parking lot to the bench... I mean pull the truck in, lift it, gather tools, drain it, pull shafts, unplug electronics, remove cross member, remove T-Case, bellhousing bolts, TQ convertor bolts, remove trans and set on bench. 30 min? Thats a joke! Maybe with 4 guys who have removed this trans every other day for the last week and work in a team... but no normal shop with one man under a lift can even dream of this, and 2 men would still take 1.25-1.5 hours or more each way.
I've seen it done in 3.5 hours, but you are correct it was two very experience guys with the shop set up for transmission service.

· Gone Fishing!!
2,398 Posts
OK Charlie.

I don't run Opie Shafts either, but you assumed I was speaking of them. You talk the talk all you want, but tell me something other than I have references and all these know it alls use them. That would be doing the thread justice.

You are peeing in the thread, not me. I offered my opinion and tried to back it up with my reasoning, you are looking for an opportunity to dominate someone, and talk trash with no supporting info.

How bout some facts. Why Not Support the thread?

I'm not gonna argue with you either, so why don't you take a breath and tell us why the Single piece 300M shaft is better than a 2 piece shaft made with 300 mirage and a 4140 Gear.
This is why:thumbsup This is just two of Two different transmissions with the 300 mirage shafts so look at the shaft splines and the brooken shaft and you tell me why then. What other proff do you need? Call DTT and Dave for more:thumbsup

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.