Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some input on the pros/cons on the fiberglass front fender flares and matching rear fiberglass flaring bedsides for a 2008 dodge ram 2500 mega cab? I like the look of fender flares and the look at the fiberglass fender flares and bedsides. My truck had a set of bushwacker smooth fender flares on it when I bought it. I bought a set of bushwacker pocket flares and when I went to change them out I found this ---- grooves in the paint and dep enough to go all the way down to the metal in some areas. All 4 fender areas have a deep grove, and I must repair them so they don`t rust out, which they already have a problem with anyway. So give me some input on the best way to repair? I will have this done, I want to have some custom painting done to the truck anyway. Here is a couple of pics of the damage Both rears are the worst , but the front is pretty deep also. If you run your finger nail across the area you can tell they are ddp. thanks! Post up!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
You're going to want to get that metal really clean first, and sand the surrounding area with around 180 grit. Apply epoxy sealer, and follow with a 2k primer to fill the grooves. I can't imagine you would need a finishing putty inbetween the epoxy and 2k but it depends on the depth of the groove. After the 2K cures, sand with 600 wet, and its ready for a repaint or blend. If the new flares will cover that groove you could stop with the epoxy sealer, but that would be a cheap way to do it, and it doesn't look like pocket style flares will go that far out.

Reactions: loghomeman

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No the pocket flares don`t cover the grooves. I thought about doing the lower area and around the fenders with like a black textured bedliner material , like some of the trucks come painted from the factory 2 tone. I have a silver/black color theme now, but I really want a new hood and do a cust double flame paint job on the hood and down the fenders and doors, but who know? Thanks for the help!!

·
Premium Member
989 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^^^^^ Thanks great info and sweet pictures!! I `m really loving your fiberglass fenders!! SWEEEET TRUCK!!!!! THANKS!! :thumbsup:

Reactions: Anklh

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
I don't have any experience with that brand.

They look nice in the picture, would be good to see more angles though you never know if the "bearded lady" resides on other side.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have any experience with that brand.

They look nice in the picture, would be good to see more angles though you never know if the "bearded lady" resides on other side.
:hehe: I here ya!! I know enough about this subject to be very dangerous!! I was just looking for all the option out there and then see what has been used and what is/works the best!! Thanks so much for your help!! :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts