Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is it abou inline 6-cyl engines produce so much torque compaired to v-8s

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
longer crank shaft, cylinders are pushing straight up and down not at a 45 degree angle.

·
Registered
203 Posts
less friction within the motor because there are WAY less moving parts in an inline motor compared to a v motor

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
It's the stroke length, mainly.

What truck has the most torque at the lowest RPM from the factory nowadays? Has the 6.7 taken that title back from the Duramax yet?

·
Go for Broke
6,696 Posts
less friction within the motor because there are WAY less moving parts in an inline motor compared to a v motor
so a V6 has more moving parts then a straight 6 ??

·
Registered
148 Posts
so a V6 has more moving parts then a straight 6 ??
it depends. like the older v-6's were essentially small block chevy v-8's with 2 cylinders chopped off.

now, you can have single or double overhead cams, and that changes everything. also, the number of valves per cylinder.

4 valves per cylinder tend to have more top end flow than the traditional 2 valve combo.

·
Registered
411 Posts
:rof:rof:rof :lol3:

how is that even possible? They both have equal number of valves, lifters, rocker arms, connecting rods, pistons, injectors, etc.

·
Go for Broke
6,696 Posts
:rof:rof:rof :lol3:

how is that even possible? They both have equal number of valves, lifters, rocker arms, connecting rods, pistons, injectors, etc.
that was the point i was trying to make :thud:

·
Registered
365 Posts
its true there are fewer moving parts in a inline motor.

when they originally came up with the v8 confirguration it was to optimize space as you can only build an engine soo long before it becomes rediculous so if you put the cylinders beside each other or essentially two inline motors connected together then you can get more cylinders into the engine bay.

with diesel and sending the exhaust to a turbo it is optimal to do it in a inline confguration. and the 6 cylinders is because a 4 stroke motor is internally balanced with every 3rd cylinder.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I think he was talking compared to a v-8 as thats what the title is..

·
Go for Broke
6,696 Posts
to compare apples to apples...a V motor and a inline motor has all the same moving parts

crank
pistons
connecting rods
lifters
push rods
valves
rocker arms
valve springs
cam
Etc.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I think he was talking compared to a v-8 as thats what the title is..
yeah I meant I-6 to V-8... sorry to not specify... I thought the title would suffice it...

now get off my back! :lol3:

·
Registered
203 Posts
to compare apples to apples...a V motor and a inline motor has all the same moving parts

crank
pistons
connecting rods
lifters
push rods
valves
rocker arms
valve springs
cam
Etc.
wouldn't there be two cams in a v-8 though?

·
Go for Broke
6,696 Posts
wouldn't there be two cams in a v-8 though?
not unless it was a dual over head cam motor

conventional V8 there is only 1 cam :thumbsup

·
Registered
203 Posts
not unless it was a over head cam motor

ok I wasn't sure... I've never taken apart a v motor lol

·
Registered
347 Posts
not unless it was a dual over head cam motor

well you could have a single over head cam engine which would be 2 cams (one per head)

a V8 could have 1, 2, or 4 cams.

·
Registered
540 Posts
With the L6 over a V8 you are reducing the need for a 2nd set of cams if you have DOHC since you have only one head. You also are loosing 2 cylinders so everything associated with those cylinders is not goin to be needed. You also don't need to have those 2 extra fuel injectors so the computer wont need to do as many calculations in a second.
As far as a V6 vs L6 you only need one header and one head vs 2, you also only need one cam for SOHC.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
The I6 will have a little less friction due to the parts going straight up and down vs. outward up and down. The V engines have friction from the weight of gravity on the rods and pistons, pulling them down against the outer side of the cylinders. But it's not much more friction.

I6 engines get thier TQ from having such a long stroke. Any diesel (good diesel) has a relatively long stroke when compared to a gasser. That's why they push very few RPM's compared to a gasser. Also why the Cummins lasts longer than the flowerpoke and durasnatch. Less RPM= less wear on internals.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
If a v8 is essentially 2 straight 4 cylinder engines running at a 45 degree angle it would by default have more parts. I'm looking at a diagram of the powerstroke and the cummins and the cummins is way simpler of a design with less parts.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts