Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 ram 2500 Cummins with 92k miles. I took it in for service and had the oil changed and the fuel filters changed and two days later it started idling bad. I took it back to the same dealership where i had the service done on it and they are saying it’s clogged or bad injectors. Does this seem suspicious?

·
Registered
2011 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 w/ 6.7L & 68RFE
30 Posts
I have a 2016 ram 2500 Cummins with 92k miles. I took it in for service and had the oil changed and the fuel filters changed and two days later it started idling bad. I took it back to the same dealership where i had the service done on it and they are saying it’s clogged or bad injectors. Does this seem suspicious?
The timing is awful coincidental, but I’ve seen stranger.

Ask them for more details on how they diagnosed the injectors being the culprit. If they can’t or won’t provide any further information, take it somewhere else for a 2nd opinion

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The timing is awful coincidental, but I’ve seen stranger.

Ask them for more details on how they diagnosed the injectors being the culprit. If they can’t or won’t provide any further information, take it somewhere else for a 2nd opinion
Yeah i thought so also. Thanks for the input, i will probably get a 2nd opinion.

·
Registered
2011 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 w/ 6.7L & 68RFE
30 Posts
In the absence of a CEL and accompanying DTCs, I’d say them confidently diagnosing the culprit to be injector failure seems improbable.

They might want it to be bad injectors since that would provide the best opportunity for a large repair bill, but there would be a lot of labor involved to accurately pinpoint the injectors as being bad, and you have given no other indication that they are more likely to be bad than something else. So why would they automatically jump to checking the injectors first?

I hate to indict anyone without sufficient evidence, so I won’t state for the record that I believe those folks are being dishonest with you. However, I will absolutely say it sounds like they are being lazy at the very least.

Asking them to provide you with more info on how they arrived at their conclusion seems perfectly reasonable to me, especially considering the significant amount of the repair bill if you approve new injectors to be installed.

If they aren’t willing to provide that info, I say punt and go somewhere else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts