Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pulling out my injectors yesterday and 3 of them came out good. I pulled the nut and then used a lug nut and a small fitting as a puller to pop the injectors out.
#3, #4, and #6 however, when I try to turn the retaining nut the injector tries to turn with it.

I soaked them with penetrant for several hours and tried #3. The injector ended up spinning in the hole and the alignment ball on the injector pushed a groove all the way around the hole. As far as I can tell, that fresh made groove shouldn't affect anything as it's far from the sealing surface, so long as I align the injector carefully when I put it back in. I wouldn't mind some input on this. The injector doesn't appear to have taken any damage, though I'll know better once I test them.

Has this happened to anybody else here? I found one older thread but there was next to no info.

Besides this, I CAN NOT get the retaining nut off the injector.
The only solution ( and by no means the best solution ) I can think of is the hydraulic press, but I really don't want to risk destroying my injector. >.<
Any input would be great.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Penetrating oil and heat are the only solutions I know of.

I have had a stuck bolt before. I covered it with penetrating oil. Then I took a torch to it. I got a lot of smoke and fire. (do NOT melt the metal) then I put oil on and got a big flame. Finally the metal cooled off enough to just smoke a lot. (and several repeats of the above) After awhile the oil wicked in (helped by the heat) and the bolt let go. Go easy on the heat. It could destroy an injector. Remove the fuel lines from the area first. Just apply directed heat (the smallest tip possible) to the outside of the nut itself. Turning the part cherry red is probably not a good idea here. You just want to warm the nut up to get it to expand then contract as it cools off. That is what should break the rust bond.

Reactions: Arkadios

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help.

I ended up just finding a good set of used injectors. My old ones pop tested 1000psi low.

·
&#647;s&#592;&#305;sn&#613;&#647;u&#398; su&#305;&
632 Posts
yea this happened to me also... on my #1 injector...had to buy a new head since it put a hole through my water jacket... -__-

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ouch.. that is incredibly unfortunate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts