Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which injectors or nozzles will get me the best mileage? Stock, 100's or what? I would like to gain some performance when needed, but I don't want to kill my mileage. I am seeing about 19.2 overall average right now with stock sticks. (at least thats what my trucks computer says)

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I've heard there's a 1-2mpg gain with RV275's...

·
Registered
565 Posts
I've heard there's a 1-2mpg gain with RV275's...
I can't wait to cash in on all these mileage improvements I've been doing... 1 mpg from my BHAF. 1-2 mpg from my 4" exhaust. 1-2 mpg from my edge ez. 1-2 mpg from my two-stroke. And now I can get 1-2 mpg from 275's!

S.hit, I should be hittin' 35-40 mpg pretty soon!!! :hi:

So far I've spent about 1000-1500 bucks on performance/mileage accessories. $1500 bucks buys a lot of diesel.....

·
Cummins Enthusiast
669 Posts
I can't wait to cash in on all these mileage improvements I've been doing... 1 mpg from my BHAF. 1-2 mpg from my 4" exhaust. 1-2 mpg from my edge ez. 1-2 mpg from my two-stroke. And now I can get 1-2 mpg from 275's!

So far I've spent about 1000-1500 bucks on performance/mileage accessories. $1500 bucks buys a lot of diesel.....
It doesn't workout like that. If you get 2-3mpg better than stock with EVERYTHING on the truck mentioned, you are doing good.

·
Registered
565 Posts
It doesn't workout like that. If you get 2-3mpg better than stock with EVERYTHING on the truck mentioned, you are doing good.
Well, that's worth it then... :lol3: Like I said, a couple grand buys a lot of diesel...

Maybe if there was less guesstamting about mpg gains and honest testing we could have a better idea of what works and what is rubbish.

Original poster: out of all the thing's I've done to my truck to try and gain mpg I think the most bang for my buck was the 4" exhaust. The three boxes I've tried (Qaud mileage max, Power puck and Edge ez) have proven to do squat. BHAF: Squat.

There seems to be a lot of misinformation floating around here, or at the least information that doesn't apply to everyone (strangely enough everyone having the same trucks)

Take advice with a grain of salt and do your own research. Especially when it comes to injectors if you can't do them yourself, it's a costly job in that case for a 1-2 mpg gain (supposedly)

·
Registered
2,254 Posts

First off RJF is right, it doesn't work like that, which I suspect you knew even before you "wasted" your money on fuel savers. Also, giving all your mods a 1 MPG increase, you would have theoretically added 5 MPG's, not 15-20. Second, the average American drives 15,000 miles a year. If you do the math, with your Diesel truck, every 1 MPG you add saves you around $300.00 every year, so if you plan on having your truck for more than three years you've not "wasted" your money. And most Diesel drivers average much more than 15,000 miles and keep their trucks a lot longer than three years, so you'll probably recoup your money sooner than that. :thumbsup

Check out: MPG-Calculator

·
Registered
435 Posts
:thumbsup
Which injectors or nozzles will get me the best mileage? Stock, 100's or what? I would like to gain some performance when needed, but I don't want to kill my mileage. I am seeing about 19.2 overall average right now with stock sticks. (at least thats what my trucks computer says)
The overhead consoles are rarely accurate, if you are gonna get serious about fuel economy, you really should divide the miles by the gallons. It's the only 100% accurate way of knowing you're MPG's.:thumbsup

·
Registered
565 Posts
First off RJF is right, it doesn't work like that, which I suspect you knew even before you "wasted" your money on fuel savers.
I figured there was a limit to mileage increases, but I did think they would combine and add up to some extent. If a box claims 1-2 mpg, and an exhaust claims 1-2 mpg, why wouldn't I get 2-4 by putting both on? Does the addition of another mod negate the effects of another? What is the correlation between freer flowing intake, exhaust and a timing box? If timing has a positive effect on mpg, and open exhaust has a positive effect on mpg, why wouldn't both together increase mpg all the more?

I'm sorry, but if I would have known the REAL WORLD effects of these mods and not just enthusiastic messageboard speculation, my truck would still be bone stock... and I'd still be getting close to the same mpg... and be about $1000 richer.

Like the lift pump issue. I'm still running my intank pump only and getting 9psi at idle, probably 4-5 at WOT. I bet 2 years from now I'm still running the same VP44 and it still works fine. I'm not trying to be an a.ss, but people need to realize there are different situations for people running stock and people running trucks that are pumping out HP. Of course you need a lift pump when you have a box on 5x5 and injectors.

Alright, rant off....

·
Registered
120 Posts
It's the same reason 100hp box + 14hp exhaust and 17hp intake on a 235hp moter does not make 366hp. THe exhaust allows for better milage do to less backpressure. Intake allows more air in means more fuel is need to maintain the same rpms. Time box changes when it injects fuel for a better cleaner burn change exhuast gas temps and so on. You can see how they all directly affect one another. The become mulitiplers of one another. and ever add on losers the gain of the next. In torque and hp, ALong with milage. simple small explaining that makes 100% no sense Don't think the injectors won't increase milage. They probly will city driving but over all milage will be near the same do it the multipers of the rest you have done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts