Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have an all stock, other than a 6 inch stack, 1993 Cummins and I'm looking to do some work to it. I'm not very educated with fuel injected motors or diesels for that matter, so please bear with me! I was thinking about getting some 75hp POD injectors, mostly because I like the price. I heard that they smoke a lot, and while I'm okay with mild to moderate smoke, I don't want to roal coal. So that could be an issue. If I were to do injectors like this on a stock motor, what else should I do to it, just to make it run smooth and well? Would any other injectors be better for me? What kind of HP and torque ratings should I expect from this? I'm sorry if these are commonly asked questions, I'm just trying to have some fun with my truck! Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
-Blaine

·
Registered
504 Posts
If your going to start doing mods you should invest in guages to keep an eye on everything. If your after power look at the thread on turning up your pump, its free and fairly simple. If you keep your foot out of it you won't roll coal. Be warned though if you have an automatic thats stock you are going to tear it up-almost a 100% guarentee, not always but almost.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your going to start doing mods you should invest in guages to keep an eye on everything. If your after power look at the thread on turning up your pump, its free and fairly simple. If you keep your foot out of it you won't roll coal. Be warned though if you have an automatic thats stock you are going to tear it up-almost a 100% guarentee, not always but almost.
Yeah I plan on doing the pump aswell. And do you have an reccomendations for gauges? It is an auto, but if I do any work to the truck, I plan on either building it up or converting to a manual, whichever is cheaper!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Go manual may not be cheaper in the begining but will save money and headaches down the road. Minimum guages are boost and pyro but until you do the tranny conversion or if you stay with an auto get a guage for that too. You could get a fuel pressure guage if you wanted but that a personal decision ( I have all 4 myself). I like the AUTOMETER stuff-it costs a little more but I've had 3 sets in 3 trucks and never any problems. ISSPRO makes good stuff and if you want pretty colors go with GLOSHIFT. Never run either but guys on here have and seem to have good luck. As for mounting them on the A-pillar you either have to use a double pod or make your own triple but stay away from the GLOSHIFT double pod it has a weird angle.
If you search guages or guage mounting you can get some neat ideas for the mounting and looks of the guages.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there anything else I should do other than injectors, turn up the pump, guages, and a manual tranny? I want to do this right the first time

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
start looking for a better/bigger turbo to slap on there to help with the smoke!!
and make more power!!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw some Hx40's for good prices on ebay, and I heard that I could run one of those. How would that work?

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
I saw some Hx40's for good prices on ebay, and I heard that I could run one of those. How would that work?
Watch for chinese knockoffs -
Watch for 3" intakes -
Watch for T4 exhaust flanges - like this :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hols...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Just some thing you DO NOT want....

Try to fine one with a T3 housing and 16cm or 18cm exhaust,
7 blade compressor is the latest and greatest. Doeasn't mean the 6 or 8 blades won't work - just not as good.
Also keep an eye open for S300 series like from a Cat 3208 or John Deere tractor - just be sure the exhaust flange is T3 or you'll be fabrication an adapter....

·
Registered
504 Posts
A he351 turbo would be good-watch the hx40s most on ebay are the chinese knock offs, 3200rpm govoner spring, 4" exhaust, grind your fuel pin or buy a Denny T stage II, custom air intake, better air filter, bump the timing, 7.3 Ford intercooler, get an extra good clutch.....the list goes as deep as your pockets :)

·
Registered
770 Posts
PODs are nice injectors just smoky. Def would recommend atleast a 60mm comp upgrade to help with the smoke. I lost about 2 mpg with em but that was probably bc of my foot. Good injector for decent power but if wantin to do a great build save for ddp4's or 6X16's IMO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts