Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Injector testing for smoke at start

552 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  tryNto 
#1 ·
So the old 07 5.9 is starting to make some oil and smoke white at morning startup. Currently has a set of BD 33% injectors. They are just outside of the 24 month warranty, of course. Wondering how I should proceed to test? It runs and idles fine so a shutdown test might now show what I need. I was thinking a cap off test and then let it sit over night and see if it still smokes in the am. Just do this one at a time and see what happens. I would prefer to just replace the bad injector/s as this set already cost me $2700. Otherwise, I will pull them and send them off for testing.

#2 ·
If you are making oil you either have a cracked injector or bad cp3 shaft seal.

If it's an injector, you should be able to remove the valve cover and see it spraying fuel. Just be careful because of the pressure behind it.

May have to unhook the FCA to see it, again just being mindful the system will be under 26kspi of pressure.

As for the smoking white, it could be the same injector if it's an injector leaking, but may not be. Will definitely have to do a cap off test to find it otherwise.

Reactions: tryNto
#3 ·
If you are making oil you either have a cracked injector or bad cp3 shaft seal.

If it's an injector, you should be able to remove the valve cover and see it spraying fuel. Just be careful because of the pressure behind it.

May have to unhook the FCA to see it, again just being mindful the system will be under 26kspi of pressure.

As for the smoking white, it could be the same injector if it's an injector leaking, but may not be. Will definitely have to do a cap off test to find it otherwise.
Would a bad cp3 seal cause smoke at startup?

#4 ·
Not that I have heard of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.