Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im not sure if i need to go spend all the extra cash or not.. i want to replace my stock vp that came with the truck in 01. My truck has 162k on it and from reading i think itd be best to replace the pump before it takes a dump on me on the road. With my upgrades in my sig., plus soon im goin to get a, "fass 100" i think will satisfy, i want to know if just replaceing the pump with a new stock vp is enough? or do i have to get an upgraded pump like the bdvp44? Let me know what you guys think, Thanks. :confused013:

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Stock pump is more than adequate for your application unless you plan on over 500hp.

·
Rescue Tower
10,826 Posts
So im not sure if i need to go spend all the extra cash or not.. i want to replace my stock vp that came with the truck in 01. My truck has 162k on it and from reading i think itd be best to replace the pump before it takes a dump on me on the road. With my upgrades in my sig., plus soon im goin to get a, "fass 100" i think will satisfy, i want to know if just replaceing the pump with a new stock vp is enough? or do i have to get an upgraded pump like the bdvp44? Let me know what you guys think, Thanks. :confused013:
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge in there already? What kills these pumps is low fuel pressure. I wouldn't change the IP until it throws a code or acts funny. An upgraded hotrod pump is a nice boost when you have to replace the factory IP, but as you add other power adders it matters less. Unless you want to go balls out I would use a stock replacement.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea i have a fuel pressure guage, lately its been reading alot lower then usual. I just got a fuel filter, so im gonna replace that because i havent done it in awhile im figureing thats why its reading low. It reads about 13 or so at idle, then while i get in the throttle it dips well under 10.. almost 5. Not to log ago it would read around 13 or so but it would go under 10 really..? I heard that the pressure is best when it stays between 10-15, true? thats why i didnt know if the vp could keep my pressure in that zone, and if i did the fass, if the vp could handle the pressure the fass put out !? :confused: how often should you replace the fuel filter??

·
Registered
6 Posts
The lift pump is what you have to worry about. If you are getting that low of pressure, change your fuel filter then test your pressures. If it is the same, I would look at getting fass because low pressures is what will cause the vp to go out, the vp won't cause the low pressures. I am currently looking at getting a hot rod pump myself, my stock one took a dump and I'm going to put the fass150 on my truck to make sure it doesn't happen again. I have a question about the hot rod vp's and their reliability though, Anyone know much about them and things they noticed about them such as - Fuel economy, Power, Any Problems, drive ability? I just want to put it on my truck now in case I want to do more upgrades on it later, but will it cause any issue meanwhile?

·
Rescue Tower
10,826 Posts
Yea i have a fuel pressure guage, lately its been reading alot lower then usual. I just got a fuel filter, so im gonna replace that because i havent done it in awhile im figureing thats why its reading low. It reads about 13 or so at idle, then while i get in the throttle it dips well under 10.. almost 5. Not to log ago it would read around 13 or so but it would go under 10 really..? I heard that the pressure is best when it stays between 10-15, true? thats why i didnt know if the vp could keep my pressure in that zone, and if i did the fass, if the vp could handle the pressure the fass put out !? :confused: how often should you replace the fuel filter??
You want 10-20psi at all times. Worst case is maybe 8psi. Get a lift pump on there. I have a Raptor 95 on my ride. It works for my application, but I'm not sure it would handle stacked boxes and larger injectos. So my recomendation is AirDog or FASS 150gph pumps if you can afford it. If not stick with something like the Raptor. If your fuel pressure sending unit is after the filter then when you start to see some pressure drop is a good time to change your filter. A lot of guys change them every 10k miles, I think that is overkill most of the time.

The lift pump is what you have to worry about. If you are getting that low of pressure, change your fuel filter then test your pressures. If it is the same, I would look at getting fass because low pressures is what will cause the vp to go out, the vp won't cause the low pressures. I am currently looking at getting a hot rod pump myself, my stock one took a dump and I'm going to put the fass150 on my truck to make sure it doesn't happen again. I have a question about the hot rod vp's and their reliability though, Anyone know much about them and things they noticed about them such as - Fuel economy, Power, Any Problems, drive ability? I just want to put it on my truck now in case I want to do more upgrades on it later, but will it cause any issue meanwhile?
Fuel economy is in your right foot. Some of them can be a little rough at idle. Like I said before they give you a good bump in power going from stock, but once you start adding other power mods they make less of a difference. I would go with stock unless you want to pull or race. Put the money in injectors.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
6 Posts
What do they do inside of them, I heard they put out more pressure, there for atomizing the fuel better. Do they mechanically adjust fuel curves? Better- more reliable parts inside? Timing limits adjusted? What exactly makes more horse power out of these pumps? My truck is a 99' and I know they have a lot of updates since then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts