Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2003 5.9L Cummins, 6 speed nv5600, industrial injection 58mm turbo, wehrli fab high air kit.
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been planning on putting bigger nozzles in my truck, ive got a slightly bigger than stock II boxer 58mm turbo and wehrli fab kit and also a fass 165. And i was originally going to go with II 88% 180hp nozzles but after reading more threads im concerned with their hit or miss quality and i am now thinking about dynamite diesel products 50% over injector nozzles but my main concern now is will my cp3 and fass combo be able to handle it. I would really like to go with BBI but i can only seem to find whole injectors and not just the nozzles. Im also going to put in a smeding diesel extreme duty pushrods and valve springs, as well as arp studs is there anything else that im missing that i should do to it?

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
Putting just nozzles on any injectors is a gamble without proper equpment to setup.
I would try contact BBI see if they can install and setup properly.

·
Registered
2003 5.9L Cummins, 6 speed nv5600, industrial injection 58mm turbo, wehrli fab high air kit.
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok my main concern is just if the stock cp3 can handle keeping up the pressures I'll shoot them a call when I can and see what they have to say

·
Premium Member
6,031 Posts
You won't be able to get the full potential of 50% overs with a stock CP3. The fass will be fine. Just regular everyday driving will be fine, it's when you fully get into it that the CP3 won't be able to hold RP.

Reactions: rghavana

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah ive decided just to go with 30% 100hp industrial injection nozzles and not risk doing anything to my cp3
You won't be able to get the full potential of 50% overs with a stock CP3. The fass will be fine. Just regular everyday driving will be fine, it's when you fully get into it that the CP3 won't be able to hold RP.

·
Premium Member
6,031 Posts
What is your goal by swapping out nozzles?

4,122 Posts
If the injectors in your 2003 have a lot of miles on them, swapping nozzles is not recommended.
You should be looking at complete new injectors in whatever flow rate you want.

If your injectors are fairly new, you can swap the nozzles. Many of us did, including me, way back in the early CR days, with no issues but it's not really recommended these days.

I would also recommend a Mads Electronics MM3 monitor/programmer for your 2003 truck.

Edit: Since installing headstuds requires removing the rockers, and installing valve springs requires removing the injectors, installing headstuds, valve springs and injectors at the same time is the easiest and best way.
Installing the head studs without the injectors in the way makes it much easier and no risk of breaking an injector if your wrench slips.

Reactions: 1997cummins2005

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is your goal by swapping out nozzles?
I currently am running a slightly bigger than stock turbo from II and stock fuel and tunes does alright with it, but i have to constantly run it in 5 because it only builds like 25-30lbs with like 12-1300 egts in any other tune and my tow tune i barely see 20, and im hoping with bigger nozzles that i can run it in any tune i want and have almost zero turbo lag and lower egts while towing is my goal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the injectors in your 2003 have a lot of miles on them, swapping nozzles is not recommended.
You should be looking at complete new injectors in whatever flow rate you want.

If your injectors are fairly new, you can swap the nozzles. Many of us did, including me, way back in the early CR days, with no issues but it's not really recommended these days.

I would also recommend a Mads Electronics MM3 monitor/programmer for your 2003 truck.

Edit: Since installing headstuds requires removing the rockers, and installing valve springs requires removing the injectors, installing headstuds, valve springs and injectors at the same time is the easiest and best way.
Installing the head studs without the injectors in the way makes it much easier and no risk of breaking an injector if your wrench slips.
I had an injector go out about a year ago and replaced them with new stock injectors because at the time i wasnt ready for anything bigger, with my slightly larger 58mm turbo in tune 5 i was already seeing 40+ of boost and with how many miles im running i didnt want to push my luck with going bigger then. Now i have a full top end build kit from II studs, springs, and pushrods to kind of “bullet proof” my top end and now im thinking it will be safer to put slightly bigger injectors in

·
Premium Member
6,031 Posts
What do you have for tuning?

·
Premium Member
6,031 Posts
Custom tuning should be able to take care of your issues without having to buy nozzles. Edge tuners are known for running hot.

I remember a while back some people were having issues with optimal welding. So I'd research some tuners before picking one.

Reactions: rghavana

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Custom tuning should be able to take care of your issues without having to buy nozzles. Edge tuners are known for running hot.

I remember a while back some people were having issues with optimal welding. So I'd research some tuners before picking one.
Im still going to do nozzles regardless, im ready for a little extra power while towing and hopefully i have a good experience with optimal welding ive got a buddy that knows him real well and im getting a deal on his tunes and ive read and heard that hes really good with the 3rd gen tuning

1 - 13 of 13 Posts