Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my 06 here awhile back and was told from previous messages that it has 150hp injectors, which due to the amount of smoke I could agree….. so my question is, if I bought 60-75hp nozzles, could I just replace the nozzles? Or would I have to just buy the smaller injectors?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Yes, you can just replace the nozzles. If you do, it's recommended to have the injectors tested by a shop that has a common rail test bench.

Reactions: jkidd

·
Vendor
8,668 Posts
You can swap nozzles in a shop or garage. I don't recommend swapping them without running them on a bench and making sure they are good. If something is wrong it can damage the engine or troubleshooting will be very difficult. Getting the injectors balanced is important. We have 2 common rail benches here and can test, balance and provide flow print outs.

3,545 Posts
With a 2006 Cummins, you have several options for custom ECU tuning to tame those large injectors for very little smoke.
I would do this before swapping injectors or injector nozzles.

In the old days, tons of folks, including myself, swapped CR injector nozzles in our garage with no issues.
With what we know now, I wouldn't recommend that. It's too risky.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Can and should are 2 different things. I've done CR injectors 3 times. While not the most fun thing ever done, it's not overly complicated. That said, I would not do nozzles in my garage. You would be better served in the long run to have a shop do them.

I would investigate tuning options first tho. That stands to be the less costly option even if you're pulling the injectors yourself.

All that said, you haven't mentioned specs of your truck. Why are there 150 injectors in it? What is done to the intake, turbo and exhaust? 150 may be too big for your setup but 60-75 may be not enough.

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
All that said, you haven't mentioned specs of your truck. Why are there 150 injectors in it? What is done to the intake, turbo and exhaust? 150 may be too big for your setup but 60-75 may be not enough.
To add to this, your CP3 also comes into play. Whether it's stock or not.

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Ram 3500, Firepunk auto, 4x4
332 Posts
I hope you at least have gauges for now. 150s and stock turbo, no bueno. Next thread will be why is my truck knocking and billowing smoke? You should definitely get a good tune but you have to know exactly what you're working with for hard parts. Buying a modded truck 2nd hand is tough because people lie about stuff. What are the mods supposedly done? How many miles on injectors, who did they come from? If the po swapped them I would buy new.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts