Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

injector nozzle replacement?

1920 Views 14 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  UrbanCummin
How important is it to get them pop tested after replacing the tips. I will be helping a friend replace the tips with jammer 2-75hp tips tomorrow and I have read that they need to be pop tested.

Also is there a writeup on injector replacement and tip replacement somewhere, I have searched for the past hour with no luck, I have never done it on a 24valve and would like to read up a little on it first, TIA.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,419 Posts
i know you should have them pop tested, it is not epensive, but i have also heard of some people getting away with not doing it to. I wish i could help you out, but i have never done nozzles before.

· SNAFU
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i know you should have them pop tested, it is not epensive, but i have also heard of some people getting away with not doing it to. I wish i could help you out, but i have never done nozzles before.

Thats what I've heard but the truck is out in bfe, and it cant be down that long so I was wondering what I could get away with.

· Registered
336 Posts
i did my 03 w/dynomite d. stage 1 injecters w no pop test and increased fuel mileage and power so i think u should be good, i also put the injectors back in their same order its about a 3 hr job

· SNAFU
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
can you even pop test electronic injectors??

if you dont pop test your injectors you can get different opening pressures. witch will make the truck run like crap.

the injectors are in an '01 not the '03 in my sig, and can any cummins garage pop test them? There are several shops around me that work on big Cummins just wondering if they can do something like that.

· Mule Barn Proprietor
11,778 Posts
can you even pop test electronic injectors??
Yeah, well kinda, you are really only looking at the spray pattern, opening pressure is constant since they fire off electronic solenoids

if you dont pop test your injectors you can get different opening pressures. witch will make the truck run like crap.Correct:thumbsup:
:thumbsup:

· Mule Barn Proprietor
11,778 Posts
the injectors are in an '01 not the '03 in my sig, and can any cummins garage pop test them? There are several shops around me that work on big Cummins just wondering if they can do something like that.
Should be able to:confused013: Pop tester is a pop tester is a pop tester...

· Horse Power JUNKIE
1,656 Posts
I replaced my tips with Jammer 3s and didn't test them, it idled just a hair rougher but seemed to work fine. Smoking the Hippies has them on his truck now and dyno'd 433, I dyno'd 450 with a different programmer set up.

G

·
find a good shop to do them they should be set with +0.015" pintle lift @ 300BAR should work well if set correctly you will have better start up less smoke and cooler egts with more power i have seen injectors that were supposed to be 150hp tips but only flowed 100hp because the injector had incorrect pop off pressure and no pintle lift

G

·
Should be able to:confused013: Pop tester is a pop tester is a pop tester...
not really anyone can pop test injectors with the right equipment but do they have the knowledge to actually set them correctly most injectors sold on the market arent set correctly i reccomend any set off injectors you buy takin to a reputable shop and retested

· Mule Barn Proprietor
11,778 Posts
not really anyone can pop test injectors with the right equipment but do they have the knowledge to actually set them correctly most injectors sold on the market arent set correctly i reccomend and set off injectors you buy takin the a reputable shop and retested
Yeah, I guess I was assuming we were talking about a Reputable shop.....:S:

· Registered
291 Posts
anybody have a link on how to change the nozzles?
Take the top nut off, 10mm, pull out old nozzle, put new one in, make sure holes are properly lined up, tighten nut. All done. Make sure no dirt at all gets into the injector.

For whats it's worth try to get them pop tested, any diesel injection shop will be able to do it. You never know what the pop psi will be with new injectors in, sometimes they same the same or close, other times the psi changes drastically.

P.S. when you have your injector nut off and the nozzle removed pull the intermediate plate (the plate the nozzle is sitting on) and look/check to see if there is a lip forming where the tip is hitting the plate, if you can hook your fingernail on it the intermediate plate is worn out. It's not the little hole by the way, if you remove the tip from the old nozzle and put it on the plate you will see where the intermediate plate would get hammered out and form a lip. Hope that makes sense. (a worn intermediate plat can cause the injector to stick as the plate will grab the tip as it opens and will hold on to it.)

P.P.S be sure the holes line up otherwise you may deadhead the fuel in the injector.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.