Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking to get a new set of sticks and i was hoping to install them myself what is all involved in putting new injectors in? (easy or hard)
will 100hp injectors be reliable with my stock turbo or sould i be looking for a little bit of a bigger turbo first?

·
"I'll go all in."
3,104 Posts
Its easy. Start from #6 injector and work your way forward. #5 & #6 can be a pain some times. Its just a matter of taking the valve cover off, losening the injector line(at the head), losening the injector hold down bolt, using a valve cover bolt if I recall thread it into the injector, use something like needle nose pliers to grip bolt and pry up. Bam injector out, put in new one. Repeat for the other cylinders.

Do you have a fuel system of some sort? Your already putting more demand on the vp44 with just the Comp box, injectors is just going to make it worse.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Injectors are easy. Here is some good info on it... Injectors

The only thing I did differently was rather than pulling the injector lines off, I simply backed the line/tube nut to where it was hanging on by a couple threads. I then pulled back on the injector line while I was prying up on the injector. Also when reinstalling I lubed up the injector (vaseline) and pulled back out on the injector line while pushing it back in.

I went with the 100hp nozzles from CPP. Many will say to steer clear of the nozzles because they say you MUST pop test the injectors after installing new nozzles. I replaced mine without pop testing, and I have the same idle as stock, and picked up 2MPG.

·
"I'll go all in."
3,104 Posts
Yeah, you don't have to pull the entire line off, just loosen the nut at the head. Its eaier if you leave the nut threaded some, as I said... 5 & 6 can be a real some times when trying to get them re-threaded.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok thanks. my first upgrade is going to be a airdog II 165gph then ether injectors or turbo i just got the truck so ill be driving it for a while stock before i upgrade anymore than the airdog.
also my comp box just sets off codes now so im not running it right now probs will end up with going with a adrenalin later.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
What codes are you seeing with yer Comp on?

I take the lines loose and back the tubes out an 1/8th inch or so to keep the fuel tube ends from getting scuffed when removing/installing the injectors.

Because I change out my nozzles, I do one at a time to keep each injector body with their own fuel tube to avoid leaks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
when i had my comp on there was no smoke and the codes were p1693, p0216, p1689 ive read up on these codes on this forum and i know that this screams vp44 failure but after further reading i heard about reseting the whole shabang. i unhooked all things to do with the comp and then unhooked the batteries and turned the key on for 1hr. while that was going on i installed a fuel pressure guage and charged the batteries. when i hooked the batteries up again i fired it up and no codes ive been using the truck for the past 2 weeks and i check for codes every day and still nothing. fuel pressure was at 15psi so im thinking that the comp has something wrong with it.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Let's see,

P0216 Fuel Injection Pump Timing Failure.
High fuel supply restriction, low fuel pressure or possible
wrong or incorrectly installed pump keyway.

Low fuel pressure from low voltage from batteries not spinning the fuel pump sufficiently, clogged or icing the fuel filter....at least you have a gauge now.

P1693 Companion code, both the PCM and ECM know there's a code.

P1689 (M) No Communication Between ECM and Injection Pump Module.
Data link circuit failure between ECM and fuel injection
pump. Low power, engine derated, or engine stops.

The Comp connects to the Data Link I believe. MAP too.
Might have not been connected good.
All help gratefully accepted.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it could have been just the batteries being dead

1 - 10 of 10 Posts