Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 03 dullay that has a bad injector....the motor blows grey and doesnt idel worth a crap.i need to find out if replacing the tips will cure the problem or am i going to have to buy all new injectors.the truck is bad enough to were i dont trust it to make it to work..any info would help

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
First make sure that your oil level is not rising and that it does not smell like diesel. If it is then I would stop operating it until the problem is fixed or risk engine damage.

I was told nozzles wouldn't fix that problem.. There are several threads out there re-injector problems/poor idle/smoke. My idle was quite rough cold and injector cleaner was enough to straighten it out. A heavy duty mechanic I know swears by lubricity improver to help free up sticky injectors. Good luck on yours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im good on the oil...i had her do that about 2 years ago.the dealer took care of that one but im thinking the spray patterns might be clogged because i have been piggy backin the motor for so long.i think if it was cracked the injector would flood the motor full of diesel like it did in the past.my problem is i dont want to spend the 900 bucks for the nozzels and it ends up the injector housing itself being the problem

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Wouldn't a cracked injector be leaking and filling your oil? Run a bunch of cleaner and lubrictity improver thru. If that doesn't work there are some threads about dismantling and cleaning your injectors. From what I have heard it is the pintle that sticks that causes symptoms similar to yours. All of that is worth a try prior to buying expensive injectors.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
similar issues. a few of my injector nozzles had erosion issues. It was from running a pressure box on the stock configuration nozzles.(i was told) I sent em to Industrial Injection were they went through them and fixed what was wrong and replaced the nozzles. They are one of like three company s that have the common rail injector tester. So i've heard.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
it only takes about an hour to pull em all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the stockers are gona get trashed anyways...i ran my stack on these stockers 4 50000....time for the 90 horse...its gona make that smarty work better anyways and that edge wont mess up these up

1 - 8 of 8 Posts