Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm gonna torque my tubes this weekend, and i remember seeing that the torque spec was increased recently? anyone know what it is exactly?

the manual shows 37ft/lb

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
37 is all you should go. The tubes are very soft and if torqued too much they will deform at the injector. That will either cause the hole to close up or they won't seat right and will leak. If you have the manual, you'll see it says they should be replaced anytime they're out. I replace mine every two times I have the out.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is the new spec 44lb/ft?

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I don't know why there would be a new torque spec. Cross tubes leaking isn't a big issue unless when someone installs them they don't torque them right in the first place.

I've had my injectors out numerous times and have always followed the specs. I've never had a leaking issue.

The only 44 I know of is 44in/lbs which is the initial torque on the injector hold downs to be sure they're seated before the final 89in/lbs spec.

It probably wouldn't hurt too much to torque them a little more than 37 but, 8 more ft/lbs is a lot.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...It probably wouldn't hurt too much to torque them a little more than 37 but, 8 more ft/lbs is a lot.
yeah, i thought the same. i recall reading that the new spec was recommended by cummins due to the number of complaints of leaking issues. but i can't find the reference here now.

thanks for the advice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts