Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well everyone I'm in the process of building my spair motor an I looking for a 7100 pump. What pump is better 160,180 or the 215 pump ? Both the pump I'm looking at buying are 215 pumps. I no the 215's have a different cam in them that adv. The timing wile its running. What should I go with? I have a custom built 13mm pump on my truck now but its for a different motor. Thanks everyone

·
Registered
596 Posts
215 pump is going to flow the most fuel I would go with that especially if you are looking for a high hp build, but a 180 pump will flow a good amount of fuel as well either of those pumps will work.

·
Registered
351 Posts
180 and 215 pumps have the same cam.

215 pumps retard timing due to the plunger design.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so is the 180 better than the 215 due to the plungers! I goona be buy a pump here in the next week or so. What flows the best when on a bench? How much timeing is tookin away from the 215 pumps?

·
Registered
463 Posts
In stock form the 215 will outflow the 180, but you can set up a 180 to really flow and it will not retard the timing. I would say to bench set up a 180 to put out the cfm you require, but I am sure some will disagree :)

·
Registered
10,784 Posts
depends what you call 'good'

Any of them are capable of moving enough fuel for 90% of anything that will see the street, and all of them are just as capable of the same modifications if you want to get crazy.

as far as 'off the shelf' numbers. the 215 is of course capable of supporting the most power out of the box.

The 180 pump is kindof the middle of the road. capable of moving decent amounts of fuel and at higher rpms.

The 160/175 pumps, although they can move alot of fuel, their cam design severely limits their high rpm capability. Nothing wrong with them for 90% of people, but your not going to get much out of it when you start spinning it to the moon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts