Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 1990 dodge diesel. The injection pump was leaking in that houseing on the back end. I pulled it apart and the O ring was flat on one side. NOW....I can't get it back together. What is the secret to putting this thing back together? I have not pulled it off the motor. Do I have to do that and if so where can I get the info so that I do it right? Dave

·
First Generation Moderator
2,224 Posts
What is the "housing on the back end"?

·
2,224 Posts
Oh. You pulled the hydraulic head..............

Yeah, you are going to need to know how to assemble that correctly. There is no room for error. I don't know of anyone doing that on the engine. There are many items which have to be in perfect alignment. A puddy knife is used to back up the four springs after you have installed the plunger, from the top of the pump. Then the head is inserted.

Your in for a real ride........

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Lol that did not sound reassuing. Not even a little bit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
just gut done resealing the same thing on mine last week and when i disasembled it on the work bench i didnt have it standing up on its end and the the rollers fell out of place under the cam plate, and one of the small washers came off the roller pin and was laying in the bottom of the pump. luckily i found it before it was lost in the shop floor. this thread will help.

VE rebuild with pics Look inside - Page 2 - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

·
2,224 Posts
You really need to do your homework prior to "just pulling the head off an injection pump" Sorry.

I could give you word for word what to do to install a head, but then you don't have the pump apart on the work bench now....... That is where you start.

I don't know how to swim; so I stay out of the pool...............

1 - 8 of 8 Posts