Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02 dodge and I am having problems. The truck will start and ideal fine, but when I increase the rpm it smokes blue and I have no power. Also it will not go over 1000 rpm and smokes alot. I just added a new airdog 100 pump to it and it still acts the same. It does it more when you first start the truck, gets better when the truck warms up, then it runs fine for sometime and starts to act up. No check engine light at any time. Could it be the injection pump? Before I updated the to the airdog pump I had 10-12psi at the injection pump.

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
Blue is usually oil. You say it gets better when warmed up. That may indicate rings. I would still check your turbo's boost side for any signs of oil coming out of the turbo.

EDIT: Just read your post again. Your IP can fail and not post any CEL's. Check codes with the key trick. On/off three times, leaving the key on after the third turn.
OBD II Error Codes

·
cumminsforum.com
26,302 Posts
I have a 02 dodge and I am having problems. The truck will start and ideal fine, but when I increase the rpm it smokes blue and I have no power. Also it will not go over 1000 rpm and smokes alot. I just added a new airdog 100 pump to it and it still acts the same. It does it more when you first start the truck, gets better when the truck warms up, then it runs fine for sometime and starts to act up. No check engine light at any time. Could it be the injection pump? Before I updated the to the airdog pump I had 10-12psi at the injection pump.
Blue is usually oil. You say it gets better when warmed up. That may indicate rings. I would still check your turbo's boost side for any signs of oil coming out of the turbo.

EDIT: Just read your post again. Your IP can fail and not post any CEL's. Check codes with the key trick. On/off three times, leaving the key on after the third turn.
OBD II Error Codes
Sound like a classic case of a bad VP44 really. As you start up in the morning it really heavy white/blue smoke that clears up as the engine warms up. This is cause by lack of timing (retarded). This also explains the lack of power because the timing cam is stuck in full retard.

But I would follow Shainer with the link above and check for error codes to verify the problem.

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
Sound like a classic case of a bad VP44 really. As you start up in the morning it really heavy white/blue smoke that clears up as the engine warms up. This is cause by lack of timing (retarded). This also explains the lack of power because the timing cam is stuck in full retard.

But I would follow Shainer with the link above and check for error codes to verify the problem.
LOL! It seems odd when you tell a guy to follow a link that I posted, that goes back to your site! If we are not careful we may open up a worm hole and get transported to a parallel universe.

It does sound just like you VP44 is giving up the ghost though.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Guys he said it gets better as it warms up. Does that sound like a bad vp44. My guess is check the turbo and components.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the information, I am going to check some of the things. I don't think its the rings, cause the truck only has 77,000 miles on it. I was told that it could be the timing, what would change the timing?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for all the information, I am going to check some of the things. I don't think its the rings, cause the truck only has 77,000 miles on it. I was told that it could be the timing, what would change the timing?
Your injection pump controls the timing, so a new pump would make it better

·
cumminsforum.com
26,302 Posts
Actually the correct answer is that fuel pressure controls timing. So if the VP44 has been ran on low fuel pressure it can't stay lubed and cooled so the bore and piston for the timing wear and now start to stick or not move when needed. This is why 10 PSI or more fuel pressure is required.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts